Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We're not settling we just don't find it necessary to marry

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies
2 moms liked this

My bff txted me saying 'let me know when I'll be hearing wedding bells." I txted back 'ok.' My aunt wrote me a letter and in her opinion thinks I should marry. I've been through a lot especially with my ex and his moocher family. I have a child with him as well as my current bf, 8 years apart. We're going to be together for the rest of our lives but without making it legal. I've never been married before but he has and told me a long time ago he doesn't want to marry again. And I understand. We both wanted to try again be better parents and so we had our baby last year. I had my first at 19 and so did he and we both were not excellent parents at that age. We both shared the same goals: Meet the better person for us, learn from our mistakes and plan a baby when financially and emotionally ready and be better parents. And we've done all that. We are very content with our lives and don't feel the need or desire to change anything cause nothing's broken so don't fix it. We have notorized living wills and are power of attorneys for healthcare and finances. So yes we are aware that's the only benefit unmarried couples can get, but that's the only benefit we want. Call me a free cow, call me a baby mama all you want but we're happy. I just wish my bff and aunt could understand that marriage isn't for everyone. We're not just boyfriend and girlfriend, we're life partners.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Your choice and its working stay with it.

momof11995
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
I understand how you feel my bf and i have been together for 19 years now and we have an almost 18 year old daughter and we are not married and we don't plan on getting.. He's been married before and wont get married again but I'm fine with that i feel like we don't need a piece of paper to prove we love one another!
EAzizM
by Erica on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Eh. It is your life.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Whatever makes you guys happy
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
There are tons of benefits of being married that you can't get with a notorization.

If you want to be together forever. Why not just get married? Its more beneficial for your children as well as you and your SO.

friendlymom48
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't get it. I think you're missing out personally. Also, I'd be willing to bet that if your bf all of a sudden changed his mind and wanted to get married, you'd be singing a different tune.
la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

do whatever you want. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momof11995:

I understand how you feel my bf and i have been together for 19 years now and we have an almost 18 year old daughter and we are not married and we don't plan on getting.. He's been married before and wont get married again but I'm fine with that i feel like we don't need a piece of paper to prove we love one another!

Good I'm glad I'm not the only one like this. Kudos!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

There are tons of benefits of being married that you can't get with a notorization.

If you want to be together forever. Why not just get married? Its more beneficial for your children as well as you and your SO.

What's more beneficial than having a loving family? Like I said we are each other's poa and have wills. We don't care nor worry about tax benefits and such. Sad too many people marry just for those benefits.

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Not trying to be offensive and I really am curious. Why is it more beneficial for the children if they are married? I've heard this a lot but I've never heard it explained. As I said, I'm not trying to be snarky. Just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)