Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Question

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 173 Replies

I'm watching Dr. Phil (yes, quality television) and they're talking to a dad who isn't paying child support not only because he "can't afford it" but because he feels the mother isn't using the money for his child. I know there are other men that feel this way so would it be a good idea to make the custodial parent have to provide receipts for the money that is being spent and how it's spent? 

I'm honestly not sure how I feel with this; on one hand, I can see why it would be a "good" idea because the parent that has to pay child support has to put their finances on display when it comes to court and being ordered to pay child support and it would give them piece of mind. On the other hand, the custodial parent has taken on the responsibility of raising of the child so they should be left alone to do it how they know best.

Also, I don't have any children ( we are TTC) and my husband doesn't have any children receiving child support so I'm not really swayed one way or another, was just wondering how others felt! 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
our.love.story
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Bump!

christi34
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Bump

funlovinlady
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Well in my case my sons dad only pays cs every couple of years ( when he gets a job and they take his income taxes) , so I will use it however I want to.

RoxStetz
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
3 moms liked this
I personally don't think that anyone should have to show their ex every receipt, however I think in cases in which it is blatantly obvious that the children are not being provided for, the judge should ordera full accounting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I think only in situations where neglect can be proven would it be ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Every three years,  I have to complete a financial questionaire, it has my wages, my out of pocket for insurance, previous years medical receipts, mortgage, day care, school tuition and then asks how many days per year my children spend with me. I think this is invasive enough. I don't need to show more than that.

addykarder19
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
4 moms liked this
I get $200 a month and my child support gets put right into my checking so sometimes it helps with groceries, water, electric, house payment, medical,school etc. and my kids use/need all of those things. So I don't have receipts for those things. I don't go spend $200 EVERY month on clothes or toys for the kids
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Unless abuse of money can be proven I'm not providing receipts. Lol
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this
No because it would be a constant pain in the ass.

Child support goes to pay a portion of the rent and car note and gas and light bill and food and telephone. It would be incredibly hard to sit there and try to figure out down to the penny how much child support should be paid based on the custodial parents budget.

The courts have come up with a formula that seems to work pretty well for the majority of the people....20% of the non custodial parents income for one child and an extra 5% for each additional child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la-cosa-nostra
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

nope, they should not have to prove reciepts, if the child is well cared for, why would they need to itemize every dollar that comes in? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)