Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat Owners Get In Here! *Update*

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 25 Replies
We just adopted a 3 month old kitten yesterday from the animal shelter. They told me to leave her in the cage thingy overnight because she had just gotten fixed the day before. I let her out of the cage this morning and took her to her litter box where she pooped and then hopped out and hid behind the toilet. I tried to get her but all she does is hiss and retreat. Will she ever get over this? And how long does it usually take? I ghosted haven't had a cat in years.

Thanks ladies! I just took her food and water and sat and talked to her for a couple of minutes and left her alone. I can tell she's frightened. I'm keeping the kids away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moniagee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
engel
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Give her a few days to acclimate. Be sure to let her wander and come to you.
artio.sd
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Rhea took 3 weeks, George never went through that stage. Every cat is different. Patience is key and I would suggest giving her a safe space, that she can hide when she is overwhelmed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
She'll take a little time to adjust. Hopefully she will. I did have one cat that never got over her fear of people other than me but it was obvious she had been abused before she came to me.
casah4
2 moms liked this

It could take some time. She just had surgery so she's uncomfortable, and she has been uprooted to a new environment. She's probably terrified.  Just leave her food and water and give her her space.  Once in a while, but not too often, you can go in and talk to her, but don't try to grab at her and drag her out. That'll just freak her out more.  It could take days so just be patient with her.

CelestialSong

Give her space. Make sure she has access to food and water, and just leave her alone. It can take cats a while to used to new environments.

Mudfishzgirl
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Right now the best thing would be to leave her in the bathroom with a litter box food and water. She is probably terrified. It takes some cats a day or two to come around. Whenever you go in there to use the bathroom talk softly and gently until she is comfortable with you then let her out into the rest of the house.
Good luck and congrats on your new kitten!
moniagee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Thank you! I honestly didn't know what to expect. I was a little girl the last time I had a kitten.

Quoting engel:

Give her a few days to acclimate. Be sure to let her wander and come to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Just went through this with Ari, our new kitten who is about 7 weeks old. It took her almost a week to come around.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Just give her time. It took our cat about two weeks to start feeling comfortable and coming out woth us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)