Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turbo tax legal notice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Anyone else seen this and is it true?

(Legal Notice)
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA

If You Used TurboTax Online and Opted to have your TurboTax Fees Deducted from your Tax Return for a Fee,
You May Be Eligible for a Payment from a Class Action Settlement.

A $6.55 million proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit against Intuit, Inc. regarding the Refund Processing Service products ("RPS") available on TurboTax online that allow TurboTax customers to choose to pay their TurboTax fees by deducting the amount owed from their tax refund for a fee (typically $29.95). Intuit, the owner of TurboTax, denies the claims in the lawsuit and maintains there was nothing wrong with the practice. The Court has not decided which side is right.

Who's Included In The Class? Intuit's records show you are a Settlement Class Member. The Settlement Class includes anyone who used TurboTax's Online Refund Processing Service, from January 12, 2008 through May 28, 2013.

What Are the Settlement Terms? Intuit has agreed to establish a Settlement Fund of $6.55 million. You cannot receive a payment unless you submit a claim form. Information regarding how to fill out and submit claim forms can be found online at www.TurboTaxClassAction.com or by calling 1-888-980-9394. Claim forms may be submitted online.

Your Rights May Be Affected. If you do not want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must exclude yourself by September 23, 2013. If you stay in the settlement, you may object to it by August 28, 2013. Instructions on how to exclude yourself or object are contained in the detailed notice at the website listed below. The Court will hold a hearing on September 27, 2013, at 9:00 a.m. to consider whether to approve the settlement, Class Counsel's request for attorneys' fees of up to 25% of the value of the Settlement Fund, reimbursement of expenses, and service award for the Class Representatives. You can appear at the hearing, but you do not have to. You can hire your own attorney, at your own expense, to appear or speak for you at the hearing. For more information, call or visit the website.

www.TurboTaxClassAction.com
1-888-980-9394

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't seen it but it's probably true. Someone somewhere is always suing someone. Usually big law firms look for these "class action" lawsuits. The lawyers are the only ones who get any real money though. You can join the class action and they split a certain amount between all the people who participate. You usally would get very little when all is said and done. I've heard sometimes like a few dollars.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start doing searches to see if it is a scam or not and go from there.

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I got one too :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I just saw mine this morning. I get real weird about these... Hummmm What should we do?  

Quoting malissaL:

I got one too :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
LAXmom21
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I got one too

gina6239
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I got that too and was thinking about filling it out.

mrskandi
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I just one ,I have used turbo tax for 3 years .

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Ive always used them too

Quoting mrskandi:

I just one ,I have used turbo tax for 3 years .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured