Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Broken trust

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

So next week we are moving 9 hours away. Recently we went on a house hunting trip and the IL's watched our children, DS4 and DS7 for the weekend. I was nervous but figured the kids would be bored to death looking at houses and sitting in a car. We thought they would enjoy some time spent with grandparents before the move.  Anyways, we told the IL's to not let SIL (BIL's wife) come around while we were not there. The IL's said not to worry, that they would make sure she didnt come over. That we could trust them.

BG: SIL is crazy..no joke. She got in trouble 2 years ago for choking her neice while babysitting, she has numerous run in's in the past with the police for DUI's, theft, restraining orders against her, fighting, drug use, etc. Back in December, she wrote me on FB and said she hated me and that I was a bitch who was mentally retarded, and she was going to pop me one. All of this was unprovoked. Well....I did send her a friend request to be nice and that was the response I got in return. Prior to that, DH and I hadnt seen/talked to her for a year. So....

The day we come back from the trip, I call and speak with DS7, and he tells me that the IL's let SIL come over, 2 different times. How hard was it to listen to us as parents and respect our wishes. We have valid reasons and the IL's completely broke our trust after reassuring us they would not do this. DS7 said he tried to call us and MIL wouldnt not let him because she knew he would tattle. I called and talked to the kids everyday, but the last day we were there when I called, MIL said the kids were busy and that to call in the morning. I didnt think much of it I guess.

So, how mad would you be? Would you see the IL's again before you left town to say bye?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
la-cosa-nostra
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

you are moving away anyway, i would mention it to them but not make a big deal out of it. but i wouldnt send my kids there to visit alone or anything after you move. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Oh they know we are pissed. Cant hide that, lol.

Quoting la-cosa-nostra:

you are moving away anyway, i would mention it to them but not make a big deal out of it. but i wouldnt send my kids there to visit alone or anything after you move. 

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Yes I'd be pissed. I'd let them have it, but I would also make sure the kids and their son spent a little time with them before the move. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to leave the kids alone with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Daaaaaaaaaamn I'd be pissed!!! I had a similar thing happen with me and my mother as a child. I would never let them babysit again (or at least not for a long, long time). But I would still let them say goodbye. They f*cked up, yes, but its your children you'd be punishing by just leaving like that. Just have them meet you for lunch or something, so you can control who is there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

It sucks because on move day, I was going to let them watch the kids but now I cant! Ahh!

Quoting Anonymous:

Daaaaaaaaaamn I'd be pissed!!! I had a similar thing happen with me and my mother as a child. I would never let them babysit again (or at least not for a long, long time). But I would still let them say goodbye. They f*cked up, yes, but its your children you'd be punishing by just leaving like that. Just have them meet you for lunch or something, so you can control who is there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Well that will be an extra "zinger" for them then - that they can't watch them and that you guys are SO serious that you're going to have to have someone else watch them because you don't trust them. Good luck - hope you can find someone else in a pinch!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

It sucks because on move day, I was going to let them watch the kids but now I cant! Ahh!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Thanks! Looks like what will happen is the kids will be playing the Wii for a good portion of the day, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that will be an extra "zinger" for them then - that they can't watch them and that you guys are SO serious that you're going to have to have someone else watch them because you don't trust them. Good luck - hope you can find someone else in a pinch!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)