Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My mom's house was sold.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I sold my mom's house. She died 3 yrs a ago. Yesterday we closed. I heard the woman buying it already talking about how she can't wait to change it and update. I know it hasn't been updated since the 70's. It just hurt to hear her talking about what she is gonna do. From what I gather her dad is a retired contractor all she has to pay for is material. 

My husband did tell me we can make sure she has the permits and if not we can shut her down.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
nancym3
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this
If you didn't want changes made to it, you shouldn't have sold it. It's not yours anymore. Your husband is way out of line.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM
It was sad when they renovated my grandparents home too, that was sold after 60 years of living in it. The positive is I know my grandparents would be happy to see another family growing and loving in their home.
smushy79
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I can't even imagine. But still, try to move on. Know that the new owner will take good care of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes its hers it just hurts.

Quoting smushy79:

If you closed, isnt the house hers?

I know it is hard to see change but please be reasonable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM
6 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

So why do you 2 bother selling these homes if you want to control the things that happen to it.
Your DH sounds like an asshole.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, but it's time to let go. The house isn't yours anymore. You have no claim on it and no right to tell anyone else what they can do with their house. She can tear it down and start over if she wants to. It's her house. I suggest that if it hurts you so badly, you don't go by her house for the next couple of years for any reason. Distance will help you heal.

And really, it's not the house you want to hang onto, it's your mom. She is not in THINGS. She's in your memories and in your heart. Her THINGS don't matter. How you remember her does.

RoxStetz
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
How can that make you feel good? I am not bashing, I am just wondering? Why would you sell the houses if you you can't let go.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well he had the same issue when his parents house was sold. He stopped a lot of stuff. It cost them over $4000 just to put up a fence.

Quoting CBMMOM:

Why in the world would you look for ways to make someone's life difficult?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM

He is not he just wants to make sure things stay the same. We sold the houses b/c we had no reason for them. His parents just moved to a smaller place across country so they put him in charge.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

So why do you 2 bother selling these homes if you want to control the things that happen to it.
Your DH sounds like an asshole.

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Well he had the same issue when his parents house was sold. He stopped a lot of stuff. It cost them over $4000 just to put up a fence.

Quoting CBMMOM:

Why in the world would you look for ways to make someone's life difficult?

There is no issue.That's not your mom's house. It's not your house. It's the lady who bought it's house. So why are you trying to make things harder for her? Just because your sad? You and your husband are petty and spiteful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
The people who bought my grandma's house did the same. They ruined the look of the neighborhood trying to make it look like a cookie cutter home, in an Adobe home area. Everyone is still pissed because it drive down the values. It truly looks like shit.

Best to never look back, and remember it the way it was. But yes make sure permits are done, the couple that updated Grandma's house didn't have any, the new roof is falling in, walls molded because of improper plumbing, that much is owed to future buyers and neighbors who have to deal with quick flippers.
betsyabel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I understand what you're feeling. When my mom passed away we sold her house to my cousin and his wife. The house is 3 down from his mother (my aunt). It's been 4 years since my mom passed and I have yet to go in there because I know it will look so different. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN