Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wait..THIS makes me a 'bad mom'

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Someone told me I am a bad mom because I am making DS and DD reuse their backpacks from last year. DS (entering grade 2) has a bright green one with a skull. DD (entering grade 1) has a purple one with peace signs on it.
They are still in excellent shape, just need to be washed, so what's the point in buying new ones?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Replies (281-289):
HLmom89
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I always wanted new backpacks as a kid and my mom let me, unless i really loved my backpack i always got new ones.

But i ask my kids if they want to keep their old backpack or get a new one.

I am just starting regular school this year, but when my oldest went to 3k he had gotten a backpack that was blue and green with a dinosaur on it. He loved it. When he entered 4k i asked him if he wanted a new backpack or keep his dinousour backpack, and he choose to keep it.
His godmother for his birthday got him an angry bird back pack and he wants this one for school. He used it for summer school and i asked him if he wants a new one or use the one he has, and he said he wants to use this one.
HOTMOMMY2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Then I too am a horrible Mom!  DS1 has had the same camouflage Jansport backpack since 2nd grade he is entering 8th grade.  I don't believe kids need a new backpack every year but one really good bag that will last and last.  What the heck happened to Reuse, Reduce, and Recycle?  You're teaching your kids to live in a throwaway society otherwise.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Take the $40 you would have spent and put it in their college fund. The money will be better served then to put it towards things that have no need to be replaced. Good for you. :)
momto3boys85
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Guess I am a bad mom too, oh well.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Those jans port ones last a long time. I had mine senior year of Hs, all of college, grad school, then it served as my gym bag. I finally had to retire it last year when it got a hole. It lasted 17 years.

Quoting HOTMOMMY2:

Then I too am a horrible Mom!  DS1 has had the same camouflage Jansport backpack since 2nd grade he is entering 8th grade.  I don't believe kids need a new backpack every year but one really good bag that will last and last.  What the heck happened to Reuse, Reduce, and Recycle?  You're teaching your kids to live in a throwaway society otherwise.

Phillipsmomm
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

MY child is on year 3 with his backpack. He wanted under armor & we are getting our money worth

susieQ680
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

yep i agree with u

Stacylynn0610
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I asked my son if he wanted a new bookbag for Kindergarten and he said NO, I have one already.  We bought him one for Preschool in September and he wants to still use it.  It's Toy Story.  I said I would buy him a new one and he keeps saying no.  So he will be reusing his also.  It's still in great condition.

chocolate75751
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Nope, the only reason my DD got a new one this year is because hers was torn and even then she finished out 3 months with it that way. If it's still in good shape why throw it out and buy a new one, espeically when most cost $20 or more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)