Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wait..THIS makes me a 'bad mom'

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Someone told me I am a bad mom because I am making DS and DD reuse their backpacks from last year. DS (entering grade 2) has a bright green one with a skull. DD (entering grade 1) has a purple one with peace signs on it.
They are still in excellent shape, just need to be washed, so what's the point in buying new ones?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Replies (31-40):
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I thought about have DS reuse his from last year, but I ended up getting a new one. He uses the one from last year when he goes on trips to pack his things in. lol We have bought a new one every year, but that was because before last year he was really wearing them out. (and the ones he wanted were cheap and you get what you pay for on those things) The one I just ordered was a good sale and I got free shipping so that's why I got it. 

fivegirls333
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

who cares...weird that someone would even comment.

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Tell them they are a bad mom for sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Our girls get new ones, like everyone else they get tired of what they had and taste change. I realize not everyone can afford to buy new ones every year but I don't think that makes you a bad parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriAnne2606
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Bwahahah- if they only knew...  :)  I reuse my kids backpacks until they fall apart or are so gross I can't stand them.  I reuse lunch boxes, too.  (ooooo - and once I was called a bad mom for not allowing my dd to have a lollipop after swimming because she had some yummy veggies in the car).  Some people need to just get a life.  :)  

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Who actually said you're a bad mom for that? Your kids? I can't imagine any grown up caring one way or the other.

babyross619
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

What?  No way, if anything you're being a good mom.  

redneckmama4
by Loree on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Because we live in a throw away world...

I like to reuse, buy used and wear stuff out :) Good for you mama!
psychomama05
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM

They should be calling you "a cool mom",  since today it is very hip to 'go green', and 'recycle and reuse'.  I bet if you cut the bags up and turned them into some shabby-chic home decor, then posted it to Pinterest, that person would think you were awesome!  Use the backpacks until they can't be used anymore!  When my kids bags start getting holes in the bottom I give them rolls of crafting duct tape to "decorate" their bags, so that we can go a little bit longer before replacing them.  Nothing wrong with getting everything you can out of an item before replacing it.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Dd will be reusing hers as well.
No point in buying new just bc they want it. Doesn't reach our children much.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)