Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They're losing their insurance NEXT WEEK! UPDATE!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 117 Replies

So my DD's have had MS CHIPs for insurance since birth.

I had to go in earlier this month to recertify them. Of course this year DH got a pay raise. But I thought with the addition of the baby we would offset the raise and they would still qualify. 

I've been awaiting a letter for over a week now to tell me if they were going to continue coverage or not. No letter, so I called the office. Apparently DH makes too much for them to qualify for CHIPs. So we're faced with the option of getting private insurance with BCBS of MS (its going to cost $700 a month) or paying out of pocket for everything and wrecking my credit due to the baby's hypoglycemia.

Or we can put them on DH's work insurance, and I'd have to drop out of school and they wouldn't be going to daycare.

Has anyone else had an issue where they had to make this choice? I'm okay with myself not having medical insurance, but not my children. And I'll sacrafice my schooling for their benefit, but its a really hard choice to make since I was finally pursuing my passion.

Udate:

So I've been frantically calling and looking online to see what the options were. So we are having to change plans. I'm swapping all my classes to online to save money, the kids won't be in day care so that's saving another $150 a week which is now going towards the insurance. Its going to cost about $400 a month, but its made up by them not being in daycare now.

I panicked earlier when I posted it. Sticker shock I guess. So no we're off all forms of "welfare". 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM

BUMP

JTROX
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Why would you have to drop out of school to get insurance?

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

We wouldn't be able to cover the costs of my books and gas driving out there each day or the cost of daycare.

Quoting JTROX:

jtsmommie0104
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

When I needed insurance for my DS and we couldn't afford it I got a job with a great benefits package...

I would put them on your husbands work insurance and look for alternatives for your classes. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM
12 moms liked this

Really you had a baby when you couldn't afford health coverage for your children?  What is wrong with you people?

IslandBreeze
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I stuck it out when the dentist dropped the plan my kids were on. I didn't change. I paid him cash for a while. He is finally taking patients on the new plan that my kids were assigned to. So happy abt that. 

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm looking to see if we can afford the books and me just do online schooling and I'll keep them at home.

Quoting jtsmommie0104:

When I needed insurance for my DS and we couldn't afford it I got a job with a great benefits package...

I would put them on your husbands work insurance and look for alternatives for your classes. 

JTROX
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Our insurance on my husband's is only $30 a week.  

How much does adding you and the kids to the insurance cost?

Quoting KanPsMommy:

We wouldn't be able to cover the costs of my books and gas driving out there each day or the cost of daycare.

Quoting JTROX:

missmamaof4
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

maybe you can just pay cash for a little while

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

The baby is over a year old now. And they had a low cost health insurance plan which they are no longer covered on. DH doesn't make enough to pay $700 a month in insurance for just them.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Really you had a baby when you couldn't afford health coverage for your children?  What is wrong with you people?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)