Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you call your MIL?

Posted by   + Show Post

I call my MIL Mrs. Stephanie (her first name) and my FIL Mr. Michael.

My DH calls my parents Mrs. Lisa and Mr. Tommy.

I find it really strange when people call their MIL by just their first name. I was raised to call someone older than me Mr. or Mrs. until they tell me not to use Mr. or Mrs.

Are you the same way, or more casual with using just their first name or a nickname?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Replies (151-160):
acb4415
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

It comes from the french term for godfather which is Parrain. I am from Cajun ancestry, so through the years it has morphed into other spellings such at Parin (which my family uses) or Paran or the traditional Parrain. Different families spell it different ways.

Just as Nanny which is traditionally spelled Nanan (but it is pronounced the same way)

The Cajun language has many variations and different spellings for the same word because the original Cajuns who were exiled from Nova Scotia were mostly illiterate and it is a language passed down verbally through generations. 

Quoting sheena696:

We definitely don't do that around here. It's neat how things can be so different. I've never heard Parin before. 

Quoting acb4415:

I really don't think of it as "formal" and I do have a very very close relationship with my MIL. Where I am from in the South, maybe it is not what everyone does, but a lot of people call each other Mr. and Mrs. (even people the same age) And in my family we call the aunts and uncles with either Nanny(a endeering term for godmother) or Parin' (an endeering term for godfather)... I and my siblings and cousins even call the people who aren't our formal godparents with Nanny or Parin in front. That is just what is normal for me.

Quoting sheena696:

I call her by name, no Mrs. (or Mr. for my fil and step fil) They would think I am crazy. We are not that formal, we family. If all the grandkids are around I call them mawmaw or pawpaw. lol 

ETA: And I have lived in the South all my life. lol Mr. and Mrs. are mainly done in school settings or things like that. (church, daycare, etc) But not in close relationships. 

SteffM0501
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I call her mom or grandma (when referencing my daughter).

caito
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Usually just my husband's mom. She died six years ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Lol yea..I do that too... I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Quoting ZoeCY:

I did that for a long time, even now I "use" my daughter as much as possible and act as though I am talking to her so I can say Grammy and Grampa haha. 

Quoting Anonymous:

10 yrs of marriage later I dot call her by any name. I just wait for her to look at me when I talk to her. I don't feel comfortable calling her by her first name and I am not going to call her mom. So yea. It may be odd to most but it is what it is.

Baileysmom1029
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I don't have any living grandparent. My husband also calls my parents by there first name.

Quoting acb4415:

I also call DH's grandparents by the names DH calls them. Mimi, PawPaw, Granny, and Grandpa and he calls my grandparents by the names I call them. Mom, Pop, Granny, and Pop

Quoting Baileysmom1029:

I just call her Danna and my husbands grandparents I call them granny and papa.

mamacalifornia
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I call my MIL Mary that's her name

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Sylvia
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Satan
freemane
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I call all of my in-laws by their first names, as they've asked me to.
critter_boo
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I call my mil mom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured