Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ARE THE PARENTS TO BLAME?? Child as young as 4 has a cavity....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is it the parents fault??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Sometimes. Sometimes its just genetics.
fivegirls333
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

who would you fault if not the parents?

Freela
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My understanding is that current research suggests that some kids are more prone to cavities as a result of carrying a specific kind of bacteria. My son's friend had dental surgery under general anesthesia when he was about 5 because his teeth were so bad, and that was what the oral surgeon explained to his parents. There are three kids in the family, all had the same dental practices, and one had severe problems, one had a single cavity, and one was fine. It isn't necessarily the fault of the parents.

Pnukey
by Jenn on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Maybe, maybe not. DS got fillings and 2 silver teeth when he was 5 or 6. It's embarrassing, but I know he brushes his teeth because I'm in there with him. Bad teeth run in the family. There's not much you can do about that.

jenaree
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It's just a cavity, some people are more prone to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No, I learned with my brother that some kids or people have soft teeth and get cavities. It happens, unless parents don't help or keep an eye on kids brushing their teeth there is not much you can do to prevent them. My kids brush 3 times a day and limited on sugars and other stuff my 7 year old still got a cavity. I do everything 100% to prevent them but sometimes it's not enough. The dentist said she has pitted teeth like me and soft teeth and its just going to happen just to have them filled and not blame myself.
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
One of my kids has a cavity almost every time we go to the dentist. He uses a sonicare, and I floss for him... My other kids have never had a cavity! I think some kids just have bad teeth. I've had cavities my whole life too. It's really frustrating for me and him. My foster son had rotten teeth, had to have a bunch pulled and a bunch capped when we got him- that was the parent's fault!
Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Depends.  Most of the time yes it is, but you have to also look into the kids genetics or other medical conditions that cause the teeth to break down faster.

la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

maybe, but some people just have weaker teeth and it happens no matter what you do 

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I'll so no.....not just one cavity. It happens sometimes.

My 5 year old has a cavity, and it sucks, I've called dentist after dentist, and the earliest I can get him in ANYWHERE is October 3. The office he was going to has got a new staff (same dentist and hygenist, but different reception staff) and they're HORRIBLE about not returning calls...so I had to find a new one.

But I have a niece that had FOUR cavities at 18 months old. She'll be three in October and has now had 5 teeth removed, and 3 more they're going to remove. Her mom fed her nothing but candy..because eating candy was better than eating nothing (according to her). She's in foster care now, so she's eating healthy and going to her appointments, thank goodness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)