Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ARE THE PARENTS TO BLAME?? Child as young as 4 has a cavity....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is it the parents fault??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Depends on the reason for the cavity.  We were great about helpline all of our kids brush their teeth until they were old enough to do it properly on their own....and we made sure they had limited sweet drinks, foods, etc.  Four of our kids have had no problems....one has what our dentist refers to as "soft teeth" that are also bumpy and groovy -- he has had MANY cavities and it has NOTHING to do with 'fault' it is just (unfortunately) how his teeth are.

cindilou13
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

If they didn't teach & enforce good brushing hygiene, then yes they should take some of the blame. If they did and he still got it, then no.  Some people truly just don't have good teeth.  I've NEVER had a cavity in my life.  One of my step-siblings has one in like every tooth, but I know she brushed, etc., just as much as I did. 

staceysgorbach
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM
My middle son had 4 cavities before he reached 2. Enamel hyperplasia. We were told it was a birth defect.
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting fivegirls333:

who would you fault if not the parents?

Soft teeth, lack of fluoride or an allergy to it, higher acidity in their drinking water, Bigfoot...

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

amberleh
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Not neccessarily. Weak teeth run in my family, on top of which I have a genetic disorder which makes them even worse. It is nearly impossible for me to avoid getting cavities, and always has been. Hell, I've never even had white teeth, mine came in yellow....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Depends. Bad teeth run in my family. I am vigilant about oral hygiene, but my youngest, who is only 3 :( (and myself!) always seem to have a cavity. My 5 year old has always had perfect teeth.
Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
This.... My dads whole family had full sets of dentures by 22 years old... Just a family thing and I can do everything possible to prevent them but it happens.

Quoting Elayna90:

It depends on the situation. Sometimes, yes. But other times, people, even adults are more prone to cavities and there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Dd2, who is 2, has cavities. She has her first dentist appointment in September. I am partly to blame because I let her have a bottle at night, the other part I think is genetics. Dh's grandmother got dentures at 17, his mother got dentures in her late 30's, and dh is 24 and is (finally) getting his dentures next month.

Dd1, almost 4, has no cavities, she has perfect little teeth and I let her have a bottle at night when she was younger.

I feel like shit everyday for dd2's teeth.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I have two kids with no baby teeth cavities and one that needed massive work......same parents, same food, same habits, different results!

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Genetics.

Quoting fivegirls333:

who would you fault if not the parents?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)