Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ARE THE PARENTS TO BLAME?? Child as young as 4 has a cavity....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is it the parents fault??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
kyuteangl88
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
It can be genetics, my kid's uncle had false teeth before he was in his 30s.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Some kids it could be prevented others not. It happens. They need to be extra diligent if their kid is prone to cavities. Take the extra steps.

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

If the parent enforces tooth brushing and makes sure the childs teeth are brushed and well taken care of, limits candy,etc....no, I wouldnt consider it the parent's fault.  Sometimes those things happen.

If the parent doesnt enforce tooth brushing and lets them drink soda, eat candy and go to bed with gunk on their teeth and doesnt care...yes it's the parent's fault, probably.

A 4 yr old likely isnt going to be diligent enough to make sure their own teeth are brushed.

*I also realize bad teeth can be genetic. But the parent has to make an effort to instill good oral hygiene.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Sometimes.

My son was born without enamel (sp?) on two of his upper back teeth.  At some point we noticed these teeth looked like they had been chipped.  Turned out they were just huge cavities!  His teeth have always been great and never had other issues.

We ended up pulling the teeth and one wasn't ready to come in yet so we had to get a spacer.

Now (at 11) he has all his adult teeth, and the only issue is the spacer actually caused the tooth to grow in crooked.  Luckily it's in the back and not noticable.  Otherwise he has a magnificent smile =)

my4kidsrock2
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Not always.

My son has bad teeth from terrible allergies and too many steroids as a baby. I have educated myself on steroids and no longer blindly follow anything my doctors tell me, but it took my sons teeth rotting at 2 years old to start to really question things my doctor was doing. We now have over $40k (about $10k out of pocket) wrapped up in trying to fix his teeth and he still has issues. He's 19 now.

My other 3 kids have perfect teeth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I have three kids. My oldest has had dental surgery once already, my middle is perfectly fine in that area, and youngest has several bad cavities but on the front of her teeth not even where food touches.
The oldest and youngest both took/take a medication for seizures that has a side effect of causing issues with teeth.
But unfortunately it is either deal with the seizures or deal with the teeth issues. I will take the lesser of the two evils.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Sometimes yes and sometimes no
CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM

It depends if the parents weren't taking care of their child.

I brush my oldest sons teeth twice daily and he still has one nasty cavity in the back.. My Husband on the other hand never brushed his teeth as a kid, his mother never took him to the dentist or helped him care for his teeth and he has never had a cavity.

P.N._Guin
My son, when he was cutting teeth, came flying into the living room, tripped, and smacked his mouth right on the coffee table. (Seriously, don't even ask me how that happened. He was blessed with my lack of coordination!) his 4 front teeth CAME IN with decay. He had oral surgery at 2, and the dentist said he could even have problems with his adult teeth. :(

Quoting amberleh:

Not neccessarily. Weak teeth run in my family, on top of which I have a genetic disorder which makes them even worse. It is nearly impossible for me to avoid getting cavities, and always has been. Hell, I've never even had white teeth, mine came in yellow....

daughteroftruth

Well if the decay was caused by lack of brushing, or flossing, then yeah, the blame rests on the parents.  If the parents are doing those things and the kid gets a cavity, then well, could be genetics or a mineral deficiency. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)