Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ARE THE PARENTS TO BLAME?? Child as young as 4 has a cavity....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is it the parents fault??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Not necessarily.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Most likely. At that age parents should still be supervising brushing, and taking them for regular checkups. It is possible that even doing everything right, they could still get a cavity.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Absolutely
valrubio
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

It depends but genetics play a big part. My kids are NEVER given pop or sugar drinks or processed sugary food but some of my young kids have gotten cavities. They brush everyday. I have had 0 cavities ever but my husband has had a lot. His family has the worst luck with cavities.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My daughter is disabled the dentists has to put her to sleep to clean her teeth and fill cavities.  Yet he insists I should help her more.  Now if you who are a professional can't work in her mouth unless she is a sleep how am I supposed to help her.  It is a battle with a toothbrush to get it into her mouth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

my son is 2 and has 16 cavities.  the dentist said his brushing is great and his enamel is in good shape and cant figure out WHY he has so many.  it breaks my heart every time i think about it :(

zebbyzebby06
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
My ds does. my dh has dental isses in his family.

Quoting mommyof11050307:

No sometimes a child jut has bad teeth that run in the family.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Not always.  Bad teeth run in our family.  We brush and floss 3 times a day plus use mouth wash and still get cavities.  My bio mom had a full set of dentures by 38 yrs old. 

daughteroftruth
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

same thing happened with my second son.  Smacked his mouth on a coffee table and cut the gums.  when his teeth came in he had a brown line through the front 4 top teeth.  dentist said it was probably from the fall.  Luckily it didn't impact his adult teeth and other then looking unpleasant it didn't really cause any issues. 

Quoting P.N._Guin:

My son, when he was cutting teeth, came flying into the living room, tripped, and smacked his mouth right on the coffee table. (Seriously, don't even ask me how that happened. He was blessed with my lack of coordination!) his 4 front teeth CAME IN with decay. He had oral surgery at 2, and the dentist said he could even have problems with his adult teeth. :(

Quoting amberleh:

Not neccessarily. Weak teeth run in my family, on top of which I have a genetic disorder which makes them even worse. It is nearly impossible for me to avoid getting cavities, and always has been. Hell, I've never even had white teeth, mine came in yellow....

MamaRae85
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

This.

A side note: Many people have more virulent strains of bacteria in their mouths. It "runs in the family" because they are most likely to get those strains from sharing food, affectionate snuggles/kisses, etc. <~~~ That is far more common than "soft enamel" issues. Most people just don't realize it.

Quoting JDmommyJD:

Maybe, maybe not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured