Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ARE THE PARENTS TO BLAME?? Child as young as 4 has a cavity....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Is it the parents fault??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (61-68):
dommad2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
This!

Quoting Elayna90:

It depends on the situation. Sometimes, yes. But other times, people, even adults are more prone to cavities and there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent it.
hazeleyes8204
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  I used to work in a pediatric dental office and we used to take kids younger than 4 to the operating room to repair a mouthful of teeth at a time.  It was sad to me, but makes me want to stay on top of my kids brushing/flossing habits lol.  Though it's not always just about brushing and flossing.  I've always been prone to cavities no matter what I do myself.

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I think it is none of my business.

daughteroftruth
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I think that has more to do with exposure to processed foods.  many cultures that have no access to processed foods have healthier teeth. Same goes for animals.  Domestic animals are more likely to suffer from tooth decay and tarter build up because they eat processed foods, where in the whild, the foods they eat actually clean their teeth.  Cats are a good example of that.  

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Usually not.  It is usually genetic factors that young, sometimes nutritional or has to do with a medication.  There are some countries that don't brush their teeth at all and the people rarely get cavities. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Depends.

I know a woman who never brushed her daughters teeth and newer sight her too. I don't even think she had a tooth brush.

By the time she was 4 half her tooth were rotted.

But if course, she was on a bottle until she was 3 and only ever drank kool aid and soda.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Parents are to blame for everything. Don't you know that?
Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Not necessarily.  Genetics can be a bitch when it comes to dental health.

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Nope, not at all. I used a good.tooth brush and tooth paste, brush for three
Minutes from every angle, and se a fluoride rinse. Every dentist theuve been to say I'm doing everything right.

My sil was born with milk teeth. Even now, her teeth are prone to crumbling. My husband has always had bad teeth as well, and fil had dentures by 25 even though he took care of his teeth. We all have different strains of bacteria in our mouths. My husband's family carries a particularly aggressive strain.

Educate yourself before you pass judgement.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bad. genetics my ass. You didn't brush properly. I don't care if your genes caused them to be cavity prone or not, you could have prevented that.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Sometimes, but not always. My daughter had 8 cavities.by the time she was 2. I brushed and glossed 3 or more times a day and she had very little sugar. Still happened.

My son had 8 crowns put on just before he turned two. Despite brushing and flossing, his food allergies.caused weakened enamel, which.caused.cavities and decay. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN