Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think she has a learning disability, what should we do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
8 year old SD, will be 9 next month, cant spell, barely can read, she doesnt comprehend anything really, like today,her summer homework paper was about rhyming, she thought person and curb rhymed, I asked her if she knew what rhyming was, she said yea, the words look the same, I said no and explained it, she still got it wrong 5 times before I finally just told her, asked dh and she had rhyming all last year, she should know it
Shes been retained in 1st grade and they should have and wanted to keep her back in 2nd but didnt because they said it wouldny benefit her, so now she is going into 3rd grade, with istep and doesnt even know her alphabet, she kept writing a "l" as "L" her dad corrected her and she got all defensive and said well how am I supposed to write it, thats how ive always done it... thats stuff you learn in kender...
I just dont understand it. Shes a smart girl, but shes just not getting it.
One question asked what a door nob did, she wrote dirt.. really?

This is not me bashing her, I love her like my own and honestly want opinions on what else we could do, how to handle this and how to adjust for the 3rd grade when she is obviously definitely not ready for it. Its gonna be extremely difficult
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Has her school tested her for anything?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Get her tested. Tell the principal and counselor that you want her tested. Depending on your state, they then have X number of days to have her evaluated for testing and then tested.

Also, if your dh has custody, he can insist that she be held back.
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
You can go to the school and request testing, although I am surprised the school has not already. I would also take her to her pediatrician and have a check up to rule out anything physical.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Last year her teacher had said she was adhd and thats why she was having issues because she wasnt paying attention, dh declined any medicine because he didnt want her on anything.

Last week he finally took her and started some because he knows 3rd grade is a huge step and she obviously needed some help somewhere.

She is in a few different programs at school for some extra help, but never actually tested, just more like tutoring

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Has her school tested her for anything?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
He has her full time but doesnt actually have full custody, her mom just agreed for her to live here because of her speech in school was better here, she lives in a different state.

I told him my opinion was she should havr been held back and he said he just took the opinion of the school that it wouldnt benefit her so he didnt push it

Quoting Anonymous:

Get her tested. Tell the principal and counselor that you want her tested. Depending on your state, they then have X number of days to have her evaluated for testing and then tested.

Also, if your dh has custody, he can insist that she be held back.

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Do you live in Indiana? Read that you mentioned the iStep.
Sounds like more of a learning disability than anything else. She needs help, big time.
What you have mentioned, should be skills that should have already been mastered.

I do know if they don't pass the iStep, they don't pass 3rd grade unless they are sn or have an iep (I think that's what it's called).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Yes we live in Indiana.
I know she needs help and I do beleive it is a learning disability and I to beleive it is stiff she should definitely already know.
Dh just gets upset and doesnt really want to talk or accept that something is wrong, which I understand.

I have a sad, but great feeling she will not make it past 3rd grade this year, shes having to do every year twice, shes gonna be 13 still in elementary. I dont know what we can do.. she is in some special classes, but I dont see how it is really doing anything when she still can't read

Quoting graciesnycmama:

Sounds like more of a learning disability than anything else. She needs help, big time.

What you have mentioned, should be skills that should have already been mastered.

I do know if they don't pass the iStep, they don't pass 3rd grade unless they are sn or have an iep (I think that's what it's called).

Pnukey
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It was good to put her into 3rd grade because then when they do test her, she will be two grade levels below and will qualify for additional services. I know it's a stupid way to go about things, but that's how it works sometimes.

She will need to be tested for learning disabilities and get an IEP. You can also work with her more at home, since nothing she learned so far is too hard. Put her on www.starfall.com to get her reading.

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Your dh has got to understand that the more help she gets now, the better off she will be. She's got some serious problems, and she needs help. I can't imagine it makes her feel good either.
Her school sounds like they are doing her a disservice if all the teacher says is that it's adhd.
You've got to get dh on board with you. The older she gets the more frustrated she will get, and the less she will want to try.
Not to mention what it will do to her self esteem.

Good luck mama.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes we live in Indiana.

I know she needs help and I do beleive it is a learning disability and I to beleive it is stiff she should definitely already know.

Dh just gets upset and doesnt really want to talk or accept that something is wrong, which I understand.

I have a sad, but great feeling she will not make it past 3rd grade this year, shes having to do every year twice, shes gonna be 13 still in elementary. I dont know what we can do.. she is in some special classes, but I dont see how it is really doing anything when she still can't read

Quoting graciesnycmama:

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Since you are step mom I think you need to get dad on board first but you need to request testing and put it in writing. Take your request to the office and ask for a copy date stamped.
My 13 year old is dyslixic and we struggled for a long time to get her help. When she was tested by the school the only reason she got any help was because her ability was so high but her achevement was low. She tested above avarage and superior in most areas of the tests she was given but couldn't read fluently spell to save her life.
If you think she needs help be her advocate don't let the teachers at ADHD and put her in meds. There is something beyond ADHD going on there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)