Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tough decision to make

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
  • 28 Replies

I honestly want opinions here ladies

My husband is totally hating my one cat Freya.  She has clawed our couch pretty good.  It is not leather but that material that is between leather and something else.  Anywho, she is 3 years old and he told me to either get her declawed or take her to the pound.  I love her as much as I love my other girl Luna, and they are good friends.  But I also worry how declawing would effect her since it seems to go differently with cats, it will either cause her to suffer, or she will be just fine.  Do I risk taking her to the shelter to avoid the unkown, or risk her heath to avoid letting her go.

She is outdoors mostly in the summer along with Luna but she is completly a girly girl cat.  Never fights, always stays clean, but she does like the occational bird kill while Luna loves to fight and look like she got ran over with how messed up her coat gets lol.

Anywho, I am leaning more towards declawing but I just wanted some opinions before I make the decision.  Hub has been asking me to do it for awhile now and he said I have untill today to decide.  Yeah hub is being a jerk but I can't really go against him for what he does for this family.

Thanks gals.

http://www.drinkdeeplyanddream.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=7
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JJJMommyKris
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM
We've always declawed our cats and had no issues. I wouldn't want to get rid of my cat and declawing seems like a small sacrifice to get to keep her.
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM
That's what I was thinking. Not to mention I have no idea if she would get adopted or not so it will kill me if she got put down ya know?

Quoting JJJMommyKris:

We've always declawed our cats and had no issues. I wouldn't want to get rid of my cat and declawing seems like a small sacrifice to get to keep her.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I would declaw the cat before I got rid of it. We had a cat with no front claws and he still caught rabbits, birds, gerbils, mice, etc and shared! lol. I hate having my furniture clawed up and I would happily declaw our two cats if we could afford to.

poshkat
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM
There are cover thingies for their claws. I don't remember what they're called
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Someone asked this before awhile ago, I saw someone post a link to these cool claw covers

Try goggling that
Chan_Brawner88
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Put double sided tape on anything she claws, and make sure she has plenty of stuff that is ok to claw. Maybe you won't have to do either!
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

If she's an outdoor cat, she should stay in tact, or at the very least keep her back claws.  

EvaTheDiva2
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Spray bottle
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Declaw her.  Just in front.  Some places do all 4, so make sure you just get the front 2 done.   They dont use back claws to scratch furniture with so it should be ok with your dh.   You dont want all her claws gone then she wont have a means of protecting herself if she needs to.    

amberleh
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM

We've always declawed our cats. It hasn't seemed  to affect them negatively at all. My Aunt even had one cat that had his claws for a good 12 years or so before they got him de-clawed, and he had no problems from it. 

You're going to get a LOT of "How dare you even consider declawing a cat! It is cruel! You are cutting of their knuckle!" And such, just to warn you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)