Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need to make some friends who aren't broke!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dh and I ended up going to college, getting good jobs, and do very well for ourselves.
We have quite a bit of disposable income each month.

I love my friends I've had since high school, but none of them really followed the path I did. They're always broke. We still have girls nights where we just get together, talk and make a couple drinks at someone's house. But that's usually all they can afford to do.

There's a concert I want to go to tonight. Dh has to work and none of my friends can afford to go with me. I offered to buy the tickets, but then they need money for dinner and gas to get here. (I live about a half hour away from my hometown).

I have a hard time meeting people at work that I can go out with because they're all 20+ years older than me and mostly guys!

So what can I do?? Neither of the kids are in kindergarten yet. We moved to this town about a year ago, and I feel like I haven't met anyone!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM
You make a good point. Moving is so hard anyway. So I'm just struggling with it.

We went from a small rural town to a pretty well off suburb of a bigger city. And it's hard to make friends.

Quoting sunrisekn:

I understand, I don't like the thought of going places on my own but once I'm there, I am learning to just enjoy my time. 

If you go tonight, this might be your opportunity to meet some other people. New friends that can afford the extras. You never know.

--sorry, I thought I quoted 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I usually go everywhere with Dh or the kids, too!

Quoting la-cosa-nostra:

im with you, my friends can never do anything, i need some friends to hang out with but they are always too busy, or cant afford it, or whatever. i only ever hang out with my fiance and my kids 

lalaboosh
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Lol, I'm like in the opposite situation. I'm broke and my friends aren't. Well that's changing tomorrow!!! I hope you find friends to go out with. Maybe go tonight to make friends?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Thanks... I've never checked it out.

I still see myself as pretty much the country girl I grew up as. I never really realize how much better off we've became until something like this comes up.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Join a country club or start spending time at higher end places.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I've thought about it!! I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to go alone though!

Quoting lalaboosh:

Lol, I'm like in the opposite situation. I'm broke and my friends aren't. Well that's changing tomorrow!!! I hope you find friends to go out with. Maybe go tonight to make friends?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I live in north east georgia- I totally get what you're saying:)

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in southern Indiana. We're not Millionaires or anything. But geeze. When my friends say they can't afford to go to Olive Garden for lunch, I don't get it! Hell, I can get soup and salad cheaper than a meal at McDonald's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do you live? I feel the same as you, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
The people in my new town don't have problems with it. It's just the ones I've hung on to from high school- and that I've been close with for years...

Quoting Anonymous:

it sucks that everyone you know made poor choices.  Honestly, I don't have the problem where I live.  Most are doing OK and can afford to go out, at least once in a while.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Well, if you figure out an alternative let me know!

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in north east georgia- I totally get what you're saying:)

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in southern Indiana. We're not Millionaires or anything. But geeze. When my friends say they can't afford to go to Olive Garden for lunch, I don't get it! Hell, I can get soup and salad cheaper than a meal at McDonald's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do you live? I feel the same as you, lol.

lalaboosh
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Btw, lollipops or flashy party favors are good ice breakers. I made lots of friends at clubs and parties just by eating a lollipop, everyone wanted to know where I got it and I would always say from my purse. Lol.
sunrisekn
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

You make a good point. Moving is so hard anyway. So I'm just struggling with it.

We went from a small rural town to a pretty well off suburb of a bigger city. And it's hard to make friends.

Quoting sunrisekn:

I understand, I don't like the thought of going places on my own but once I'm there, I am learning to just enjoy my time. 

If you go tonight, this might be your opportunity to meet some other people. New friends that can afford the extras. You never know.

--sorry, I thought I quoted 

Me too! Small little bumpkin town to a beach town. It's tough, and all my friends are 2 hours away. 

Best of luck. Just try to go tonight. I've had great conversations with strangers when I allowed myself to relax a little.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN