Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need to make some friends who aren't broke!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dh and I ended up going to college, getting good jobs, and do very well for ourselves.
We have quite a bit of disposable income each month.

I love my friends I've had since high school, but none of them really followed the path I did. They're always broke. We still have girls nights where we just get together, talk and make a couple drinks at someone's house. But that's usually all they can afford to do.

There's a concert I want to go to tonight. Dh has to work and none of my friends can afford to go with me. I offered to buy the tickets, but then they need money for dinner and gas to get here. (I live about a half hour away from my hometown).

I have a hard time meeting people at work that I can go out with because they're all 20+ years older than me and mostly guys!

So what can I do?? Neither of the kids are in kindergarten yet. We moved to this town about a year ago, and I feel like I haven't met anyone!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I have that issue too. I just don't go many places unless I'm willing to pay for everything.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Do it! It's great for meeting people who presumably have some means. My kids go to swim lessons there and I've taken some golf lessons. Plus they'll most likely have a snack bar area. That's usually full of SAHMs having coffee or lunch, making it easy to strike up conversations.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks... I've never checked it out.

I still see myself as pretty much the country girl I grew up as. I never really realize how much better off we've became until something like this comes up.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Join a country club or start spending time at higher end places.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Have you tried getting your kids into some type of activity? Is there a mommy and me group??  I am sure there is some way to meet people.  Why don't you do the driving since you have all of this disposeable income??  I know it is frustrating but if you really want to do these things, either offer to do the driving and buy the ticket and either eat dinner in or have them save for their dinner... OR you could learn to enjoy your own company and go to the concert solo???

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I tried a cm group In the area. But it hasn't been active for quite awhile... :(

Quoting vboatner:

Have you looked for mom groups in your area? Or looked on CM for moms around your area? My problem is not friends having no money, it is them not realizing that I cannot just drop everything to go do something with them like I could 8 years ago. They do not realize that my family and children come above all else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
That's so random, but it makes sense lol

Quoting lalaboosh:

Btw, lollipops or flashy party favors are good ice breakers. I made lots of friends at clubs and parties just by eating a lollipop, everyone wanted to know where I got it and I would always say from my purse. Lol.
Momof2sillygrls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Darn, too bad you didn't say you where in Milwaukee, wi area. I feel the same way as you. It's always oh am broke, I can't afford it, etc. I feel like saying then go to college and get a degree and stop working minimum wages. I often tend to do things with my husband, myself, my kids, or sometimes my mom. It sucks sometimes but outside of hanging out having some drinks at my house or their house there isn't much they can afford. I have been beginning to broaden my horizon and been meeting people at my gym (it's a highly priced place so the majority of people that go tend to have money for at least Olive Garden lol) as well as reconnect with some people who I haven't talked to in years (however, they have their stuff together). It's funny you posted this because just the other day I said to my husband why can't we just met some people who own a home, pay their bills, provide for themselves (I don't bash I was there at one point), have kids around our age, and can afford to do stuff. Is that too much to ask for?

I forgot to add I own my consturction business wih my husband so meeting people at work isn't an option.

Quoting Anonymous:I live in southern Indiana. We're not Millionaires or anything. But geeze. When my friends say they can't afford to go to Olive Garden for lunch, I don't get it! Hell, I can get soup and salad cheaper than a meal at McDonald's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do you live? I feel the same as you, lol.
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's just like dating,   you have to get out there.      What's the neighborhood like?        There's always people looking for someone to play tennis or golf with around here.     Maybe join a group gym activity like Zumba,   people go out for drinks/coffee etc.  after those.  

You defiinitely don't want to sit around waiting for things that your friends can afford.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM
And I'm ok with that sometimes. But I would love it if I had some friends who were able to go without needing it paid for.

I end up getting stressed and try to come up with stuff that doesn't cost much to make it better for them

Quoting Anonymous:

I have that issue too. I just don't go many places unless I'm willing to pay for everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM
It's a small neighborhood. The people are friendly, but most of the neighbors have babies, so we don't have much in common- ours are 3&4.

I hope once dd starts preschool this year, it will help. Ss is already in preschool. But there's a certain stigma with sm's sometimes.... The other parents look at me like I'm just trying to play mom. They don't realize that Dh and I are raising ss...

Quoting MelanieJK:

It's just like dating,   you have to get out there.      What's the neighborhood like?        There's always people looking for someone to play tennis or golf with around here.     Maybe join a group gym activity like Zumba,   people go out for drinks/coffee etc.  after those.  

You defiinitely don't want to sit around waiting for things that your friends can afford.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Has the gym worked out well? I'm thinking about trying that!! Someone else suggested it as well.
Dh just got moved to a new job and works with some younger couples now. So we also talked about trying to get to know them!

I've made friends with my coworkers. But most of their wives are pretty threatened by me :( I'm only 27 and my coworkers are all mid-fifties. So most of the wives worry ill be their midlife crisis affair or something! Lol

Quoting Momof2sillygrls:

Darn, too bad you didn't say you where in Milwaukee, wi area. I feel the same way as you. It's always oh am broke, I can't afford it, etc. I feel like saying then go to college and get a degree and stop working minimum wages. I often tend to do things with my husband, myself, my kids, or sometimes my mom. It sucks sometimes but outside of hanging out having some drinks at my house or their house there isn't much they can afford. I have been beginning to broaden my horizon and been meeting people at my gym (it's a highly priced place so the majority of people that go tend to have money for at least Olive Garden lol) as well as reconnect with some people who I haven't talked to in years (however, they have their stuff together). It's funny you posted this because just the other day I said to my husband why can't we just met some people who own a home, pay their bills, provide for themselves (I don't bash I was there at one point), have kids around our age, and can afford to do stuff. Is that too much to ask for?

I forgot to add I own my consturction business wih my husband so meeting people at work isn't an option.

Quoting Anonymous:I live in southern Indiana. We're not Millionaires or anything. But geeze. When my friends say they can't afford to go to Olive Garden for lunch, I don't get it! Hell, I can get soup and salad cheaper than a meal at McDonald's.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where do you live? I feel the same as you, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)