Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need to make some friends who aren't broke!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dh and I ended up going to college, getting good jobs, and do very well for ourselves.
We have quite a bit of disposable income each month.

I love my friends I've had since high school, but none of them really followed the path I did. They're always broke. We still have girls nights where we just get together, talk and make a couple drinks at someone's house. But that's usually all they can afford to do.

There's a concert I want to go to tonight. Dh has to work and none of my friends can afford to go with me. I offered to buy the tickets, but then they need money for dinner and gas to get here. (I live about a half hour away from my hometown).

I have a hard time meeting people at work that I can go out with because they're all 20+ years older than me and mostly guys!

So what can I do?? Neither of the kids are in kindergarten yet. We moved to this town about a year ago, and I feel like I haven't met anyone!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I usually do offer to drive. A couple weekends ago, I drove an hour round trip to pick up my best friend for us to go to the drive in that's 10 minutes from my house.
Then turned around and made the same drive the next morning to take her home...

It's just getting to where it's not worth the effort!

As for classes, we've tried a couple. Ss plays teeball and both kids are in a music class. But I just don't know how to approach people without seeming like a creep anymore!!

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

Have you tried getting your kids into some type of activity? Is there a mommy and me group??  I am sure there is some way to meet people.  Why don't you do the driving since you have all of this disposeable income??  I know it is frustrating but if you really want to do these things, either offer to do the driving and buy the ticket and either eat dinner in or have them save for their dinner... OR you could learn to enjoy your own company and go to the concert solo???

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I also thought about the YMCA. The one in our town has a ton for kids. It's not super exclusive, but memberships are about 100 dollars a month...

Ah, golf. I miss playing!! :) it's so relaxing

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Do it! It's great for meeting people who presumably have some means. My kids go to swim lessons there and I've taken some golf lessons. Plus they'll most likely have a snack bar area. That's usually full of SAHMs having coffee or lunch, making it easy to strike up conversations.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks... I've never checked it out.

I still see myself as pretty much the country girl I grew up as. I never really realize how much better off we've became until something like this comes up.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Join a country club or start spending time at higher end places.

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I know how u feel it sucks and I always ended up paying for someone else ALWAYS , it gets very old and annoying over time =/////
lalaboosh
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
You can doooo it! You might only make friends for the night, but there's nothing wrong with that! You could even find your new BFF. I'd dress in something cute, but comfy and do some people watching. Talk to people! It also helps to sip water and breathe deeply when you feel nervous. Or suck on a lollipop! Lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

I've thought about it!! I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to go alone though!

Quoting lalaboosh:

Lol, I'm like in the opposite situation. I'm broke and my friends aren't. Well that's changing tomorrow!!! I hope you find friends to go out with. Maybe go tonight to make friends?

JackieGirl007
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I guess I should be happy that I don't have your problem? My friends and I are all in the same boat, hard working and can't seem to get ahead. But we do enjoy hanging out and take every cheap opportunity we can. Cheers to being poor! lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

it sucks that everyone you know made poor choices.  Honestly, I don't have the problem where I live.  Most are doing OK and can afford to go out, at least once in a while.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Yet it's a double edged sword. If I don't pay, I don't see them that often. =/ this sucks

Quoting bbyB10:

I know how u feel it sucks and I always ended up paying for someone else ALWAYS , it gets very old and annoying over time =/////
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I'm all for some cheap fun too. I love grilling out in the backyard and having friends over.

But sometimes I want to go to a concert or a movie... :(

Quoting JackieGirl007:

I guess I should be happy that I don't have your problem? My friends and I are all in the same boat, hard working and can't seem to get ahead. But we do enjoy hanging out and take every cheap opportunity we can. Cheers to being poor! lol

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I feel that way about my sisters sometimes. They just don't have the money for us to vacation together at all. I am really missing them but they can't ever go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM
That's why we only have friends that live much like we do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN