Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm afraid of how dangerous he may be

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
Okay I work for an elderly wealthy lady As a personal assistant. I take her for errands, help with book keeping etc. well, a few weeks ago a woman that used to work for her gave her a reference for a guy that could fix her fence. He was not with a company so she wrote him a check to get supplies and paid him $25 an hour.

He has had 3 checks in all. Yesterday he brought her the receipts for the supplies and got his paycheck. He is finished with the fence. Later after he left we began going through the itemized receipt. He had bought steaks, pizza, snacks and even got $20 cash back from the cashier! Also bought lithium ion for $50... No clue what that is. In addition to the paint each receipt was over $300. She called the bank and cancelled his paycheck this morning. The bank just called saying he was trying to cash it and asking it she wanted to verify it. She of course said no.

I am afraid he is going to come out here. I have heard rumors this man is on meth or other hard drugs. His behavior out here escalated those suspicions accompanied by some very inappropriate sexual remarks. I am scared because we are 20 miles out in the country and he is much larger than me and a 90 year old woman...

Should I do something
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la-cosa-nostra
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

man, she shouldnt have called him :( hope nothing happens, you know he going to be upset.

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I would let your local police know what the situation is--they may be aware of this guy already.  I wouldn't take the chance.  We had something similar with my mother-in-law, who has mild demetia.  These guys showed up, told her they were there to fix her gutters, she was confused and said ok, wrote them a check for $500 and they left.  Some people just prey on the elderly, it's so disgusting.

pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

How would he get cash back from the cashier if he used a check??

IMO, if it was felt he was dangerous I would have let them cash the check so he wouldn't come back.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Without wrongdoing I would say you have no cause to call the police. I would take pictures of the fence, house, and cars just in case something gets vandalized.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

So how did he buy the supplies?  Did the lady give him a credit card?  If so that was not too smart.  If she wrote a check for the supplies you should have figured out the total repair cost (actual supplies + labor) and then deducted the initial amount given when writing out his paycheck.  What he did was really crappy but there were ways to catch it before you sent him off with a check that is now no good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM

So did you agree on a price, sign a contract, and did he finish the work?

evelynolivesmom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

What about the woman who referred him?

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Call the police and let them in on the situation. At least they are aware that way. Stay alert. Lock doors. Make a plan. This is why you should always invest in self defense training of some kind. Never know when it might be really helpful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
He took it to Walmart and bought groceries and wrote it for over the amount

Quoting pinkysmommy720:

How would he get cash back from the cashier if he used a check??

IMO, if it was felt he was dangerous I would have let them cash the check so he wouldn't come back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)