Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont know how to say "no" to my friend...

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 15 Replies
Shes her sisters babysitter so she has 3 total in her care, she came over yesterday , and they were in and out of my fridge , even when I was in the shower I heard it opening and closing , I.feel like a bitch for even feeling this way but by the time they left my floors were so dirty , and sticky , and all the toys outside were everywhere , they kept fighting etccc . Well she wants to come o er again because they are working on her floors at home and I wanted to.say NO but I couldnt zo shes getting the kids ready and will call me in an hour to touch base . I really dont mind if kids are hungry or thirsty , but they had already had drinks and a snack ....
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Bump
bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Bump
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Tell them you'll be happy to meet them at a park, play area, or museum for a playdate.
areyouatroll
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her no getting the fridge, and clean up her mess! She is comfortable enough to invite herself over, get in your fridge, etc...she is comfortable enough to clean up the mess! When she says, ok well we better get going, say yes ok let's clean up then!
jlmc
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thats annoying. Tell her you will meet her at the park, or relocate yourself outside with your kiddo and shut the door.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So say sure but make sure you bring them some snacks and drinks. Then if they make a mess tell them (nicely) it's time to clean up.

TexTornado
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

If you prefer to be a doormat then she will always take advantage of your inability to speak up for yourself.  Why don't you say something in a jokey, fun (passive aggressive) manner if you cant do it directly.   Like, "You know,  I found out  recently that I am just like my crazy mother about keeping these floors spotless....can you & the kids make sure to wipe up your spills".   Or...'Ok I am too OCD to have all these toys thrown all over the yard, hey kids all of you get out here & let's start picking up".

Do that over & over and maybe she'll get the hint. 

Hopefully it will work--otherwise you'll have to go the direct route. 

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I am im gonna get ready now plus my toddler is kinda bored here getting into things already

Quoting mommytoeandb:

Tell them you'll be happy to meet them at a park, play area, or museum for a playdate.

bbyB10
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I am ocd and she knows it

Quoting TexTornado:

If you prefer to be a doormat then she will always take advantage of your inability to speak up for yourself.  Why don't you say something in a jokey, fun (passive aggressive) manner if you cant do it directly.   Like, "You know,  I found out  recently that I am just like my crazy mother about keeping these floors spotless....can you & the kids make sure to wipe up your spills".   Or...'Ok I am too OCD to have all these toys thrown all over the yard, hey kids all of you get out here & let's start picking up".

Do that over & over and maybe she'll get the hint. 

Hopefully it will work--otherwise you'll have to go the direct route. 

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
I must be a more assertive person because I have NO problems at all with telling a guest's child not to go into this or that room, not to mess with certain items, etc. Speak up and tell the children themselves not to do it.

"Children, please leave my refrigerator alone."

Don't be wishy-washy, either. Say it in a firm voice so that both the children and your friend knows that you actually mean it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)