• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You are throwing away your career... SAHM post

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 217 Replies
3 moms liked this

... I am NOT throwing away a career to SAH with my kids. I wish people would quit saying that.  I am putting my career on hold.  I spent 15 years and went to a lot of years of college - my career is not gone.  No one is going to come to my house and take my degrees off the wall.  Yes I'm throwing away a job I suppose.  Who knows... maybe they will hire me back someday... but most likely I'll find something even better.  

I love that I'm about to take 3-5 years off to spend time with my children, my own mother and to work on improving my health and marriage.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I couldn't agree with you more.  No one was more surprised than me when I decided I wanted to be a SAHM.  I don't regret it for a second.

I'm heading back to school to get my masters and will head back into the workforce, but I've loved (almost) every second of being home with my boys.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM
7 moms liked this

Actually, you are. If you stay out of the workforce long enough, (even nowadays more than 6 months) you've made yourself unemployable. It will take you years of school to get a degree, or certificate to become employable again. You have degrees? So you pretty much threw all of that tuition money down the toilet and flushed. To me that is sad. I was a SAHM, but I had nothing to lose. I have only a H.S diploma and a solid work history to back myself. Staying home is great, but it is career suicide whether you want to admit it or not. A degree from 10yrs ago can't hold weight to someone who has graduated in 2011, 2012 or last year.

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

LOVE this! I say the same thing. I left my job on very good terms and was told they would always have a place for me if and when I decide to return. I would rather be home with my children (right now just child) than have her be in a daycare all day. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Realistically yes you are..but do what makes you happy!

Anonandon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

You're right.  I'm also a sahm, going back to school for a career change.  If you're not keeping your skills current or gaining new skills/education, you're screwing yourself over.  Unless you don't ever want to work again, in which case, it doesn't matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, you are. If you stay out of the workforce long enough, (even nowadays more than 6 months) you've made yourself unemployable. It will take you years of school to get a degree, or certificate to become employable again. You have degrees? So you pretty much threw all of that tuition money down the toilet and flushed. To me that is sad. I was a SAHM, but I had nothing to lose. I have only a H.S diploma and a solid work history to back myself. Staying home is great, but it is career suicide whether you want to admit it or not. A degree from 10yrs ago can't hold weight to someone who has graduated in 2011, 2012 or last year.

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
There are risks career wise but do what you feel is best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Good for you :) I stayed home for 5 years with my kids, and lived every second of it! Best decision I ever made!
I'm a nurse, and made appoint to keep up with my education and volunteer work. I found a job in less than a month. My baby stars K this year, and I am now a part-time working mama.
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It puts your career at risk but if that isn't important to you, who cares? There's always college, volunteer work or whatever to keep your work history current.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
The workforce isn't what it used to be. If recent college grads can't get good jobs, idk what makes all these SAHMs think they will just jump right back in where they left off. I was a SAHM. It took me almost a year to find a job. Shit is rough out there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM

for sure, I am definitely speaking from experience. I know all too well how hard it was to find a job after staying home so many years.

Quoting Anonandon:

You're right.  I'm also a sahm, going back to school for a career change.  If you're not keeping your skills current or gaining new skills/education, you're screwing yourself over.  Unless you don't ever want to work again, in which case, it doesn't matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)