Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**ETA** dh's got a job offer across the country :(( advice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies

we live in Texas. We've lived here our whole lives. dh get a job offer in Pennsylvania. It's making nearly twice annually what he currently makes, a promotion and less man hours. It all sounds nice in theory but obviously it would require us to completely uproot our family. Also, it would put us in unfamiliar territory with no support system. I love that we are so close to our parents and siblings. All of our lifelong friends are here. I'm just really dreading the direction he wants to take our family in. We have been fighting over the topic for weeks. He has until the middle of August to make a decision. If it makes a difference, i also work; Part time, nonetheless, I love it. although I do not need to work, I really do thoroughly enjoy what I do. needless to say, this move is not a financial necessity. I feel dh is just being selfish. I need some advice!!

ETA: found this on an online cost of living calculator...even with a little wiggle room I cannot see this move being a good idea.

Price difference Dallas, TX vs Philadelphia, PA
  • Groceries 24% more in PA
  • Housing 86% more in PA
  • Utilities 20% more in PA
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd move in a heartbeat. I don't think your dh is selfish about wanting more money to provide for his family.
anitarichman
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

If I was in your situation, my house would be on the market  and I'd be packing up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I'd probably move.
LuLuThatsWho
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

His desire to provide for you is not selfish.  I say make the move.  If he is making so much more money (and you're already living quite comfortably), then start saving all of the overage so that the two of you can retire nice and early, move back to Texas, and really enjoy the time with your family and friends.

**LuLu**

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You need to realize depending on what part of Penn, the cost of living can be much higher too. Make sure you check things like this out before you make a major move.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Your husband should take it. I hope my Dh gets a job out of state. I hate where we live. I could care less about being away from family n friends. Mine I will miss I hate his and the further away from his ex whore the better. More money is always good move
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

i'd give it a try, but tell dh to be prepared to move back in a year or two if things don't work out, and you're not happy..money isn't everything

littledoggie
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I would move.  We did actually, from GA to PA for two years.  It was the best thing choice for us, and I am so glad that we did it.  Your DH isn't being selfish, this is a great opportunity. 

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
We did the exact same thing a few years ago. Moved several states away for a major job promotion. It was the best career decision he's made. It was even less than a month after my youngest child was born.

You'll make new friends. The kids will be fine, too. Just look at it as an adventure and a new experience. I understand the friends and family issue, but there's a lot to be said for finding real financial security in a down economy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I have already moved 6 different times in 6 different states to support my husbands career. If I were you, we would already be packing.

Why is it selfish to further his career?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)