• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ladies that sew, i need you!!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have decided at 33 that i want to learn to sew. I have limited experiece with sewing and sewing machines. I remember my grandmother teaching me at a young age, i never persued it. So, what sewing machine do you have or recommed for a newb? I dont have a huge budget, but im not looking for super cheap either. Any other advice i would appreciate. Thanks!

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meglet1970
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Janome

Lisette1528
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I'd say Singer - but only if you can find an old/vintage one with a metal body (mine's 1967 era).  The new plastic ones are no good.

Janome, Brother are good.  I've also used Vikings and Husqvarna (sp), but they are a bit pricier.

It also depends on what kind of sewing you would like to do.  Are you sewing mainly clothes, home dec, pillow cover type items? Or would you like to do embroidery and/or quilting?  Embroidery and quilting can and often needs specific stitches or equipment in addition to the sewing machine.

RunningJunkie05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I have a Brother and that's what I learned on. It's fairly basic but has everything I've needed.  I took a beginning sewing class that really helped. It was at a local fabric store.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Thank you, i also have a small space to work with. I want to mainly do clothes and mending. Im not interested in embroidery or quilting. Im looking online now and realized i have no idea what im looking at!

Quoting Lisette1528:

I'd say Singer - but only if you can find an old/vintage one with a metal body (mine's 1967 era).  The new plastic ones are no good.

Janome, Brother are good.  I've also used Vikings and Husqvarna (sp), but they are a bit pricier.

It also depends on what kind of sewing you would like to do.  Are you sewing mainly clothes, home dec, pillow cover type items? Or would you like to do embroidery and/or quilting?  Embroidery and quilting can and often needs specific stitches or equipment in addition to the sewing machine.

Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

i have a brother that i've had for about 12 years and still works great. my sister has a babylock that she's had about a long. my mom has singer. we've all had our machines a long time.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Ooh, thats a great idea. The closest fabric store is a bit of a drive, but im sure it is worth it! Ill call them, thanks!

Quoting RunningJunkie05:

I have a Brother and that's what I learned on. It's fairly basic but has everything I've needed.  I took a beginning sewing class that really helped. It was at a local fabric store.

Lisette1528
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

PM me if you like.  There are several good small models on the market - it just depends on your budget and your desired use.  If you remember the basics from when you were younger, it should come back to you.  Watch Youtube videos.  If you don't remember much, I agree with the previous poster that suggested a beginner sewing class.  Check with your local fabric, craft, or even quilting store to see if they offer classes.

Quoting olliesmommy2:

Thank you, i also have a small space to work with. I want to mainly do clothes and mending. Im not interested in embroidery or quilting. Im looking online now and realized i have no idea what im looking at!

Quoting Lisette1528:

amberleh
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I have always  preferred Singer machines, and Walmart has a very simple one for about $80.

team_porculoon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I know Singers are good.  I personally have a Husquarvana and that works well.

rosewind13
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Brother. I had one forever and I loved it. They are great to learn on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)