Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You ALL know its not going to happen, so tell me, what is your solution?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 42 Replies
3 moms liked this

DO NOT SAY - THEY SHOULD STOP HAVING KIDS!

That is not going to work. People will continue to have sex, and end up having babies they cannot fully afford.

So this is a spin off on the lady who says that people on any sort of PA should work and not stay home.

Well... Let's look at facts.

Working can cost you more. Now if you are a single parent, you don't have a choice in my opinion. But if there are two parents one staying home can actually save you money, really! How?

Daycare - BOOM YOU ARE THE DAYCARE!

Haircuts - You don't need them because suddenly you are not going to a job that expects you to look your best.

Makeup - Most jobs expect you to wear some but your child won't.

Expensive clothing - Because your child doesn't need you to "look your best at all times" where your boss would.

Lunchbag - No need just go to the fridge.

Lunches - First a bologna sandwich at home is a lot cheaper than buying things you need to heat in a microwave or being expected to "hang with the boss" for lunch at her fave eatery, where you may end up spending $15 to $25 on your lunch. And yes, at most jobs if the boss goes out to eat, you may be expected to go, or they may think you are antisocial, and not willing to do what you need to do to head up that ladder.

Transportation - Unless you live next door to your work (and I did once which was nice) odds are you need to get there somehow. Do the math, gas... For the car... And wear and tear on your vehicle. OR a bus pass every month. Or train tickets... Or a cab if you need it. How much will that cost you?

Tax - Yes your tax bracket may be LOWERED if you don't work. If you get a job it may push you into a slightly higher tax bracket.

For older children who cannot go to a daycare - How much will that afterschool program cost? What will you do during the summertime? Hire a nanny? A babysitter? Send your child to camp? How much will that cost you?

Also if you take your car to work - You may end up with higher premiums for your car insurance, because, in most states, if your car is considered a commuter car it will raise your insurance. If you do not use it for that, your premiums may go down.

And if you and your hubby are BOTH working, and you both get home late, how many meals will you be buying out? Like McDonalds, or hot foods from the grocery store, etc. That is so much more expensive than INGREDIENTS, like chicken breasts, potatoes, fresh broccoli, etc.

So the thing here, my point is, you may actually be spending a lot more working than if you do not work. It just depends on the situation. But if you do the math, a lot of times it doesn't even out, or even come close. You may actually be spending MORE. At which point it is NOT cost effective to work.

For my family, we are not on PA at all. However, I am a sahm and we save a ton of money that way.

For other families, it may work out if both parents are making a lot more money than they are putting out, but for the poorer families, how does it make sense to go to work to pay out exactly what you are making, or to be making LESS than what you are putting out? Meaning your significant other has to pick up the slack on what you aren't making enough for? Or you and your spouse are in debt every month and getting in deeper every day?

So... My question is, besides DONT HAVE SEX DONT MAKE BABIES, what is YOUR idea to make this better? And don't say just figure it out because that doesn't help these families, and sometimes you simply cannot "just figure it out!".

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTo5Almost
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Bump

MomTo5Almost
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

No one?

MomTo5Almost
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

B

MomTo5Almost

U

MomTo5Almost

M

MomTo5Almost

P

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I wish I could stay home and not end up on pa. Too many bills
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Well, I'm a single Mom and right now I can't work full time because my son is special needs and requires a lot of appointments a week.

He is in preschool right now which is only 4 hours a day. But once he goes to Kindergarten I found a special needs school that will keep him from 7:30AM to 5:30PM and it's completely free. The after school program is free too. So once he goes to Kinder I am going to try and find a job that's Monday through Friday 9 to 5, or I will switch my hours at work to that. Still leaves the summer though but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I am at home, with NO PA.... love my SAHM life
MomTo5Almost
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

That isn't the idea. The idea is, if you are paying out the same or more than you are making for all the things you need to get to and from work and to be successful while at work, and to have your children cared for by strangers, you may as well stay home.

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

I wish I could stay home and not end up on pa. Too many bills

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)