Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jr. VS II.... Which did you name your son??

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 19 Replies

My hubby and I are naming our son after him and he looked up what the rule is on naming him Jr. vs II. We would like him to be the second instead of Jr. If you named your son after his father what did you title him?

Here's what my husband found as the "rule":

If your name is John Henry Doe and you name your son John Henry Doe, you then become Senior (Sr.) and your son Junior (Jr.), not the second (II). If your son John Henry Doe, Jr. names his son (your grandson) the same, his son then becomes 'the third"', i.e. John Henry Doe III. However, if you name your son Richard Henry or John Harold, anything but John Henry Doe, but he still names his son (your grandson) after you, your grandson then becomes John Henry Doe II. Likewise if your brother Edward Charles Doe names his son after you, that child (your nephew) would also be John Henry Doe II. A 'junior" always has the same name as his father whereas "the second" is not named for his father but does have the same name as an older relative (grandfather, uncle, cousin, etc.). The 'third" is the third descendant in a family with the same name in either direct or indirect line. In everyday practice, the Sr., Jr., III are often only used when all parties are living but genealogically it is important to maintain the correct title to prevent confusion.

What do you think?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dommad2
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I believe it should be senior, junior, and then the numbers.
MrsLondon
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

That's what the rule says. I just hate Jr. on paper lol

Quoting dommad2:

BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Went with Jr. If ds decides to name is son the same then it all changes to I II or III.
Lisette1528
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

The son should be Junior when named after his father.

dommad2
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Sorry.

I don't personally have a Jr. Because hubby hates his name but my sisters son is the sixth. The first two are Senior and Junior.

Quoting MrsLondon:

That's what the rule says. I just hate Jr. on paper lol

Quoting dommad2:

kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I didn't name either of my sons after daddy. (We both hate his name lol)

my brothers tho (both half sibs) one is actually the third ( my great grandfather, grandfather and brother) my other brother is the second he chose not to pass down his name to his son (that's a long storey tho)

my second brother didn't go with jr for several reasons mostly because he dad goes by his middle name so there really isn't any confusion.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I have a senior and a junior
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

No the Sr and Jr don't  have to change to I and II.  They will still be Sr and Jr, the third one will just be III.

Quoting BeautyFull:

Went with Jr. If ds decides to name is son the same then it all changes to I II or III.

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You can't be a second untilt here is a third, its a surname. 

MrsLondon
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Okay that's how it should be according to the rule. So I guess he'll have to be a Jr. Darn lol

Quoting kimmaylove013:

I didn't name either of my sons after daddy. (We both hate his name lol)

my brothers tho (both half sibs) one is actually the third ( my great grandfather, grandfather and brother) my other brother is the second he chose not to pass down his name to his son (that's a long storey tho)

my second brother didn't go with jr for several reasons mostly because he dad goes by his middle name so there really isn't any confusion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)