Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Financial Aid...anyone have it?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

This is the first year I've applied for Financial Aid via FAFSA or FASFA whatever.

I'm sooooooooo confused right now.

It says I'm awarded $7,166 for this semester and it says I've already acepted my FL Student Assistance Grant and Pell Grant (I don't remember doing that unless it's automatically there once you do FASFA) and then it has 2 more offered of Direct Federal Subsidized Loan and Direct Unsubsidized Loan.

Then I have unsatisfied Requirements and it says "entrance interview for student loan" for those two federal ones.

What is the hell does all of that mean?

Financial Aid isn't picking up their phone right now so maybe you ladies may be able to help.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
That means you log on to the portal and take the entrance exam....bunch od stupid question to make sure you know what u r getting into. Then once thats finished it will award your school the money. They will
Deposit of send u a check for whats left after tuition
BeAmour
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

They want me to log into FASFA?

Quoting svolkov:

That means you log on to the portal and take the entrance exam....bunch od stupid question to make sure you know what u r getting into. Then once thats finished it will award your school the money. They will

svolkov
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Is there a link? Some schools have a direct link others yes you log into fafsa

Quoting BeAmour:

They want me to log into FASFA?

Quoting svolkov:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are awarded a Pell Grant, it is automatically accepted if you are registered for classes. It is used for tuition, and whatever is left of that is sent to you in a check.

The loan thing depends on your school. For mine, they require a financial aid orientation (did mine online), and also an online budgeting course before I can accept a loan offer. This varies by school, so you'll have to talk to your aid office to find out the requirements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
It just means you have some stuff to fill out still. Email or call financial aid office later on or go down there. Also if you log into your fasfa account it will show you what you need still.
jaydensmom1726
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

if you dont absolutly need the loans dont take them. if it had not been for the fact that i had to pay for daycare and my carpayment i could have gone to school with out taking any loans

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Your schools financial officer should be contacting you to walk you through everything you need to know. Mine did. Everything about my FAFSA and student loan was explained.
BeAmour
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Our Financial Aid people are rude and they just answer quickly without really any explanation and send you on your way and literally say the next person in line name while you're still at the counter.

Quoting KairisMama:

Your schools financial officer should be contacting you to walk you through everything you need to know. Mine did. Everything about my FAFSA and student loan was explained.

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Grants are automatic and don't need to be paid back.  Woot!

I graduated with my BS in 2000.  When I first started receiving aid, I had to attend a session about financial aid that explains how it works and when you'll be expected to pay back loans.  

You don't have to take everything that is offered.  Several semesters I accepted less because I could cover some of the costs myself.  

-PB
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM

You have to do "entrance counseling" which is basically reading a bunch of stuff to make sure that you understand what you're getting yourself into.  lol  They want you to understand that student loans are not forgiven by filing for bankruptcy, you still owe if you don't graduate, subsidized loans don't tack interest until you graduate, un-subsidized tacks interest right away, if you change your address you have to notify them, stuff like that.

You can go to the fafsa website and do your entrance counseling and electronic promissory note there.

On a side note.....Don't accept the un-subsidized unless you absolutely have to.  I personally always decline the unsubsidized because of the interest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)