• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you name drop to get a better deal or better service?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you name drop?

Options:

Yes, every chance I get!

No, I'm not looking for handouts!

I have no names to drop :(

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

I do it all the time! Any time I do though, I always ask their permission ahead of time. 

My dad is well known in the HVAC industry and I drop his name to get deals, recommendations, etc. This works for just about anything we need. I get wicked deals at a high end salon, paid next to nothing for attorney services for DSS's custody case, I even got to skip a credit check for my current home (it's a rental) because my dad knows someone in the property management office.

My step dad is also very well known in the wine industry so that comes with the obvious perks; we all live in the heart of the wine country in Northern California. Tastings, tours, pairings, events, etc. DH and I are able to celebrate special occasions at restaurants we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford because of these connections.

My SIL thinks we take advantage of my dads' for this, but neither sees it that way. I only ever starting doing it because they kept insisting. DH and I both work and have a comfortable life, but I love that my parents professions provide me these opportunities! And in case it matters to anyone, I do their taxes every year for free.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Miss_Mandy80
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I work my own magic! ;)

AHmom103
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Only with medical stuff. My mom works at the pediatrician's office, so I mention to new doctors that I'm her daughter, and they stop talking to me like a moron pretty much immedietely. Oh, and when I go to my husband's job for lunch with him, I get to park in the management lot, because my dad is in management there. That's not really name dropping though, because I know all of the upper management there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM
We get no perks... It'd be nice but I'm ok and living just as well without them
littlesheep
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM
My SO is "small town famous." I don't think 95% of people would recognize the mayor if he were their next door neighbor but EVERYONE knows and loves SO. Having his last name works magic on almost anything here - shops and restaurants to the police and schools.

Usually, everyone recognizes me, but I will name drop if I need to. :)

prettynproper
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

i've name dropped during interviews to get jobs. for example, the one i have now. i'm a senior in college working on a degree in accounting, but i have enough credits and have taken the classes equivalent to get an associate's degree in my field. i name dropped one of my professors who is also a sort of "contracted" accountant for this center and got a job as a bookkeeper. it pays much more than the waitressing and on campus desk jobs i previously had.

sometimes it's not what you know... ;)

katemckenzie
by Kate on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

No.

MelanieJK
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Sometimes.    I don't feel compelled to brag about my "connections" to complete strangers though.    That seems tacky.

eSamsMama
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Unless the "complete strangers" you mean are the CM members reading this, I wouldn't classify my delivery as bragging. And even in this case, I wasn't so much going for bragging as I was giving examples.

I refer to both men as "my dad" so when I make reservations or appointments I say "my dad, so and so, suggested I speak to you."

Quoting MelanieJK:

Sometimes.    I don't feel compelled to brag about my "connections" to complete strangers though.    That seems tacky.

SageAdvice
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Anyone who has a way to get a discount and doesn't is a fool in my book - no one's really so rich they don't need it - even Bill Gates takes discounts and freebies when given a chance. Pride has a way of keeping people poor and disadvantaged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)