Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr. Sears should be called DR.QUACK!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this
Not Dr. Quack ,per say, but he and his books should not be taken seriously at all. I see a lot of you link people like him and Kelly's mom when talking about/arguing the "facts" and "benefits" of breastfeeding,co-sleeping, and attachment parenting. Firstly these people are hardly unbiased and secondly, neither of them can decipher a study in an unbiased manor to save his/her life or seem to be able to tell the difference between a cause and effect study and a link based one.

The majority of their little suggestions, you know the ones many like to shove down other mothers throats, are based on unfounded information they have attempted to gather from the previously mentioned studies. The majority of what they suggest are opinion based. They should be treated as such.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Sorry, I just needed to get that little PSA off my chest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Do you have examples of what you find quaky about their advice?
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
7 moms liked this

name me any parenting or child rearing book that isn't slanted towards the opinion of the author?

That is why there are so many of them, parenting is not one size fits all

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I raised by kids using al ot of those techiques but I don't shove 'em down anyones throats nor pretend my way is the only way. It's what worked best for me and my family.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
He has some interesting views.... but then again most parenting books have at least one weird idea; that's why there are so many lol
Anonandon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Everyone's biased in some way.  You do what you feel is best for your family regardless of the source and let others do the same.  You may say he's a quack, others may have found great success with his advice. 

WaffleHead
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Whatever buttworm girl
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
The breastfeeding and co sleeping info on kellymom is very much fact btw
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Yes, but I'll need to link link you when I get home in about 30 minutes. I know I know, why didnt I wait to post it then, because my ass got overzealous. I was hoping no one would reply lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have examples of what you find quaky about their advice?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I used to let people get me riled up about the "baby years" (BF/Bottle fed, Co-sleeping/CIO) child rearing choices but I have never had that come up as a topic of conversation beyond the baby years. My kids are pretty super and no one has ever asked me if they were BF or not. lol  In Elementary school people start bickering about other things. It never really ends, it's just different stuff.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)