• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no shots no school ?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 552 Replies
So I tried to make a link with my phone and copy / paste the article not sure how it turned out but basically I have witnessed children get turned away for no shots. Apparently I am not the only one does your school have this policy?

Search

Get immunized: school nurses say, "no shots, no school"

Share on email Share on reddit Share on twitter Share on facebook
By: Allison Harris - Email
Updated: Tue 10:36 PM, Aug 21, 2012

GRAYSON COUNTY, TEXAS -- Many North Texas kids are less than a week away from the first day of school. Parents need to know there is one thing that students must have before they go back, or they'll get turned away.

Texas school nurses's mantra is "No shots, no school."

One local school nurse says she has had to send kids back home on the first day of school because they didn't have all of their shots.

Van Alstyne school nurse Cynthia Tillet says right now, school nurses across Texoma are checking to make sure your kids have all of their immunizations.

She says many schools have already hosted their immunization clinics, so if you haven't gotten all your shots, visit your family doctor, a walk-in medical clinic, or the health department.

Tillet says many insurance companies cover the cost of required shots.

"We just ask that they try to get their shots in before school so we can't say, 'No, you can't come until you go,'" Tillet said.

Kids K through 12 need to get their shots,but if you have a 7th grader, you need to pay special attention to his or her shot record.

When kids reach 7th grade, they are required to get the meningitis shot for the first time.

That's a fairly new rule that was put in place about two years ago.

For more information on Texas's immunization requirements, visit www.ImmunizeTexas.com or call 800-252-9152.

Woman in Texas ricin case gives birth in custody
We Recommend

Paris teen hit with a brick
Man lying in roadway dies in south Oklahoma
Palace: Royal baby named George Alexander Louis
Fannin County residents upset over locked lake
Fannin Co. one step closer to Lake Ralph Hall
More from Our Partners

11 Obvious Signs of Cheating (All Women Stalk)
10 Common Causes of Diarrhea (ActiveBeat)
Ever heard of Croup? Here's What You Need to Know (AARP Health)
Archie Panjabi of 'The Good Wife' Teams up with Rotary to Eradicate Polio   (USA Today)
Recommended by

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
LikeNo

Post as …

Haylee Ratliff
11 months ago
Please kxii learn to provide the whole truth or nothing at all! Do more research before posting these incorrect articles! No shot no school is NOT TRUE!

Anonymous
11 months ago
Research the dangers of vaccinating your kids... You may regret it.

EducatedParents
11 months ago
Parents: Know your rights!!  You DO NOT have to immunize your child(ren) for them to attend school.  In Texas, all you have to do is properly fill out and submit an "Exemption from Immunization for Reasons of Conscience" form. 

hide 1 reply reply

Rhemalarry
11 months ago
Hi. We are currently trying to decide whether or not to have our four year old daughter receive her second round of mmr and varicella vaccinations, due to the risks therein, which we've discovered recently. I noticed that with serologic proof of immunity, the shots are not required. I don't see our daughter allowing the lab to take blood, as she'd likely throw a fit about it. What do you do? If you don't immunize, do you do something else to prevent these illnesses? I've read about homeopathy, but the research seems inconclusi