• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't afford to work

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 112 Replies
I can't afford to pay my rent, or my bills, or put food in my house. my mom pays my phone (its on her plan) my car needs close to 700 dollars in repairs to keep it running enough for me to go to and from work. so I applied for food stamps, just until I get my second job. I was already getting daycare aid, because ya know I can't afford to pay bills let alone a baby sitter. and you know what I get told? because of an extra 10 cents an hour (so 40 cents a week max) I am no longer eligible for daycare help. but I can get food stamps. well aint that fucking peachy. an extra 100+ a week that I fucking cant. afafford. I tell my case worker this and she is just like "oh well get receipts from daycare and maybe we can give you more in food stamps" FOOD STAMPS ISNT GOING TO PAY MY RENT BITCH. I swear, I bust my ass and end up further in debt and unable to work because I have no sitter. I would ask my mom but she lives 2 hours away. I have no one who can watch him. I swear it would be smarter and more cost effective to quit my job,keep popping out kids and live off the system! because why? when you just start to be able to save a few dollars every week you get kicked in the face by the system and pushed down further than where you were before.

eta: yes I know that the 40 cents thing is wrong. also I dont get HUD. I have never filles out a hud application, or given HUD my income info. my landlord is awesome and chooses to help people.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mother.May.I.
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

you are going to have a bunch of women saying that you are acting entitled. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I can't afford not to work. I could not imagine having to have the government provide for me. I get anxiety attacks just thinking about not working.

I hope you find a way and things get better for you.

KatieHops
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM
3 moms liked this
.....Its not their job to pay your way through life. Get a third job. Sell some of your shit. Stop blaming everyone but yourself for your shitty situation.
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry, but the purpose of the system isn't to make your life cushy and perfect or to enable you to "save a few dollars a week", it's to supplement what you are bringing in .  Are you on a housing list?  Can you find a cheaper place to live, maybe closer to work?  Can you look for and find another job closer to your mother if she's willing to watch your child while you're at work? 

Statements like that last one you made just make my blood boil.  NO ONE should get to elect to just keep popping out kids and expecting society to support them, especially when many are in the same predicament you are except they make just a little too much to qualify for help and not enough after taxes are taken out to support people like you to actually be able to get by themselves.  It's that kind of selfish, lazy, entitled attitude that is dragging our country down right now, because those who do work are being bled dry to support those who won't, to the point that they have little to nothing left to put back into the economy either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM
oh I.know. im just baffeld that I am eligible for food, yet not daycare. I want to work, I want to save, but the system is making it impossible. I have no baby sitter. I can't afford to pay one yet I am supposed to work. I can't do that with out a sitter but I also need to be able to pay rent. :( I feel forced to stay on the system.

Quoting Mother.May.I.:

you are going to have a bunch of women saying that you are acting entitled. 

UxorQuodMatris.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Move closer to your mom.
Go back to school.
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

It does seem the way they do things sometimes is kind of counter-productive and thus, people just work to the limit, not for the money, but more so because I kno my child care is as much as 250a week if I work a full schedule and my sons dad doens't take him on a week day.  

So I could imagine, thats 1k a month in child care, and if you don't even have money to cover 700 alone in rent, and you are getting help, how cna you transition to being independent if you are that limited?

idk, I think it should be set up differently and maybe limit the usage of the system more, but make it so people can actually get off before they go homeless in the process.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Really? She already can't afford a sitter for the first 2 job, who the help is going to watch her kid 24/7. What about sleep. Smdh

Quoting KatieHops:

.....Its not their job to pay your way through life. Get a third job. Sell some of your shit. Stop blaming everyone but yourself for your shitty situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
jesus fucking Christ lady. I live in income based housing already meaning if my monthly income is 100 dollars I pay 10 dollars. I have nothing left to sell. ive done it already. and trust me I would work 3 jobs if I could but I cant. I cant afford a sitter for 80 hours a week what makes you think I can afdord one for 90+ that and ya know, I like sleeping 3 hours a night. im jot entitled, I want to be able to save not because I want to do fun stuff but because I want to be able to get off the system and not be drowning in debt.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

I'm sorry, but the purpose of the system isn't to make your life cushy and perfect or to enable you to "save a few dollars a week", it's to supplement what you are bringing in .  Are you on a housing list?  Can you find a cheaper place to live, maybe closer to work?  Can you look for and find another job closer to your mother if she's willing to watch your child while you're at work? 

Statements like that last one you made just make my blood boil.  NO ONE should get to elect to just keep popping out kids and expecting society to support them, especially when many are in the same predicament you are except they make just a little too much to qualify for help and not enough after taxes are taken out to support people like you to actually be able to get by themselves.  It's that kind of selfish, lazy, entitled attitude that is dragging our country down right now, because those who do work are being bled dry to support those who won't, to the point that they have little to nothing left to put back into the economy either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I am a full time student already. my second job is on campus and is only during the school year

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Move closer to your mom.

Go back to school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)