Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If jobs are so "scarce" then....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How did my 16 and 17 yr old get jobs so easily? They may not be the greatest and not that many hours but they are good in the mean time for people who are looking for jobs. People are being too picky because welfare makes it too easy.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (141-150):
Miss_Mandy80
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Exactly.

Quoting Anonymous:

or job availability differs from place to place. 

derp

CarolinaGirl88
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM
They're lucky? When I was 16/17 I couldn't even get a call back on the jobs I applied for, let alone get the job, and I was a straight A student with my own transportation and applied several places. I never got a job until after I was out of high school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Why should people who didn't get a trait make the same as a person who either went to college or some sort of vocational school. Come on people we all make choices the ones who didn't better themselves have to live with the choices made. I went to school for four years while some of my friend partied after high school is it a shock they make $10hr vs my $50?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM
My position just got cut. I have until September 1st to find a new job, so fuck you.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

haha. first off--they are teens--companies know they won't "need" benefits and hours like someone supporting a family would. So, they hire more teens to cover more hours.

Each place is different.Not everywhere is hiring easily like that.

Working jobs like that won't be enough, so said person would be on welfare anyways. Bejesus.

Whenever life gets tough I just remember this..

The Water Temple.

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM

hey, with a college degree in office administration i ended up having to work at taco bell - it sucks lol but I did it!! I am finishing up another degree at the same time so I can get a better job without having to speak spanish (I live in agriculture california)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Many fast food places and mim wage places will not hire a person with 20+ experience with a BA. My husband was laid off in April and went to every fast food place while waiting for other jobs. No one would hire him.

Quoting Anonymous:

How did my 16 and 17 yr old get jobs so easily? They may not be the greatest and not that many hours but they are good in the mean time for people who are looking for jobs. People are being too picky because welfare makes it too easy.

SaturnsMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I managed a McDonald's and they actually won't hire an adult that's been laid off from another job and rarely hire anyone with any sort of education because they know as soon as that adult finds something better they will quit with no notice.  McDonald's prefers to hire people with no experience at all so they don't know anything better exists.  I assume most fast food follows this business model so just because teens are getting jobs doesn't mean anyone else could do it.  Plus we went almost all of 2012 without hiring a single person so it definitely depends on where you live.

askyourmother
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Those jobs don't pay a living wage for adults with families to support. I get what you're saying though.
prettynproper
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

that's understandable. the one's i'm referring to aren't however. we're all students and none of us have anything to back us up yet. they could take those jobs.

Quoting autodidact:

such places often won't hire someone who is "overqualified"

Quoting prettynproper:

i agree. i'm a senior in college and throughout my time here, i've heard many of my peers say they wouldn't work in fast-food restaurants but are BROKE AS HELL eating ramen noodles every night. pride issues. get what you can take until you have something (a degree, a skill) to get something better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured