Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If jobs are so "scarce" then....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How did my 16 and 17 yr old get jobs so easily? They may not be the greatest and not that many hours but they are good in the mean time for people who are looking for jobs. People are being too picky because welfare makes it too easy.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I decided last week that I want to leave the company I have been with for 8  years.  I sent out 10 resumes this past Saturday. I've already had 5 interviews this week already and 3 offers. I'm making my choice between the offers right now.  No offer was less than $45k a year to start, all with full benefits offered. The job market seems to be okay in my field in my area.

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting Anonymous:

Really because people with good jobs don't get laid off when their company moves after they had kids.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting lwalker270:

Are you kidding with this. 

Do you really think a minimum wage job can support a family?

Well um hello those people shouldn't have had kids!

I just rolled my eyeballs out of my head.

Thank you!  My uncle has been laid off twice in the last five years.  I'm sure the unemployment he collected while he was looking for work was more than a 20 hour-a-week, minimum wage job.  

You didn't pick up the very obvious sarcasm either...alright.

Hey, in all fairness, I did ask you about it because it's been one of those days.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

OneToughMami
1 mom liked this

Guys listen...would someone with the signature I have really seem like I would make a serious reply?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b762891efaf7adb4ad80ae87e3b3ef62/tumblr_mfvw40stJP1s04tjto1_250.gif

Bigmetalchicken
1 mom liked this

You are also forgetting that many of the people that bemoan the fact that jobs are scarce, are people that do not have a lot of hiring potential.  I know of seven places in my area that have been trying to find help since January.  Every single person that has come in and inquired about the job has been a hot mess. Neck and face tattoos, sloppy looking, acted foolish in the interview, brought their kids to the interveiw, the list goes on and on. 

Just because a place is hiring, does not mean they are desperate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I was adding on to what you said because let's face it, soon enough ladies who believe that will be here.

Quoting OneToughMami:

So doesn't eyerolling usually mean sarcasm?

Quoting Anonymous:

So life can't throw you unexpected curveball?

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting lwalker270:

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting Anonymous:

Really because people with good jobs don't get laid off when their company moves after they had kids.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting lwalker270:

Thank you!  My uncle has been laid off twice in the last five years.  I'm sure the unemployment he collected while he was looking for work was more than a 20 hour-a-week, minimum wage job.  

You didn't pick up the very obvious sarcasm either...alright.

Hey, in all fairness, I did ask you about it because it's been one of those days.

I just went back and found it...but...hey...look at my signature...I can't imagine anyone with that being serious lol

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b762891efaf7adb4ad80ae87e3b3ef62/tumblr_mfvw40stJP1s04tjto1_250.gif

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Quoting lwalker270:

In a house with two adults working minimum wage jobs there would be more than enough money to support a family. 

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Just look at my siggy...I mean...I don't know why people think I am serious lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry to me it looked like a remark I read everyday on here.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Holy shit seriously...did you not get the eye rolling reference? That I was being SARCASTIC!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting lwalker270:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

It is easy for teenagers to get jobs because employers know they can pay them shit and work them hard without them arguing. They know they can make them do things that adults would do since teenagers don't know what is legal and what isn't. I found out a LOT of the shit my manager had me doing when I got a job at 16 I wasn't supposed to be doing, including working off the clock.

Second some of us, such as myself, have tried getting on ANYWHERE, yes even fast food because I enjoyed working there once I knew what my rights were, but they tell me I am overqualified to work in fast food now. All of the other jobs I have applied for I am underqualified. One place that will hire me back is Walmart but they require that you work less than 24 hours a week, you have open availability, and they keep you as a temp for 6 months and then let you go to avoid the new Obamacare shit going down.

Teenagers are stupid and willing to do anything for a few extra bucks and if you personally know a manager of any store or fast food place they will tell you the same thing.

TigOlBitties
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this
A minimum wage job will support a family a hell of a lot better than no job will...

Quoting lwalker270:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)