• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's obsession with expensive toys.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

So, my son, who is 15, has been saving his money for several months to a year to buy these expensive toy action figures (Marvel) It's a boxed set with a few figures in it that sells for $165.00 He was saving his money (money he earned doing chores, and stuff) and then he came across this toy. Soon he will buy it, get tired and start complaining he doesn't have enough money to do fun things with his friends again (we are poor) But he decided he's going to buy it. I let him know with having to buy school supplies for 3 kids, me not working, and dh having issues at work, money will be scarce, and maybe he should buy a less expensive figure. But it's his money. I'm wondering if there's any advice I should give him though. He still has another year untill he can legally work.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SageAdvice
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a rule - my children can do odd jobs etc and earn money but  1/2 goes in a savings account  - 10% goes to charity - and the rest they can blow any legal way they want.

It works well and teaches/taught them financial responsibility.

dalbax2
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM

He saved up the money.  No matter what you say I doubt it will change his mind. Let him get it and when he complains about not being able to do fun stuff w/ his friends remind him of the fact that you tried to tell him and he wouldn't listen.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Make sure he realizes that if he chooses to spend his money on that, you won't be giving him extra spending money and he may have to miss out on doing things with friends. Worst case i'm assuming he isn't going to be playing with them, so maybe if he changes his mind after the return date he can sell them on ebay or something?
anotherhalf
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Better he make a costly mistake now than a costlier mistake when he's an adult.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I'm sure he could, but he plans to take them out of the packaging, so i'm pretty sure he would get a significantly less amount of money for them.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Make sure he realizes that if he chooses to spend his money on that, you won't be giving him extra spending money and he may have to miss out on doing things with friends. Worst case i'm assuming he isn't going to be playing with them, so maybe if he changes his mind after the return date he can sell them on ebay or something?

allornone
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Will he need to buy an ASB card? He may want to think about a pair of shoes or something. I would take him shopping. Tell him to sleep on it and ask him two days later if he still wants it. 

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM
His sacrifice now, such as a social life, may pay off later when his action figures are worth thousands... That's of he doesn't play with them. But that's a money management lesson for him.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I would suggest he save half of what he earns for such purchases and spend the other half on what he wants right now.  If he chooses to spend everything on this set of toys then whines about it, suggest he sell them.  It's an important lesson to learn how to manage money. 

D.O.E.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM

at least he doesnt spend his money on candy.

does he watch the big bang theory?

MezzoDragon
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Try to make sure you've done everything you can so he makes an educated decision. . . and if he still choose to spend his money on the figures let him live with the consequences. It'll probably only take one or two "I told you so/I don't want to hear it"s to hit the point home. This is a much better thing for him to learn now than after he moves out and is trying to pay bills.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)