Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you really live on welfare your entire life? Not the same ole question.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

For those of you that are on welfare and have no issue with it, how long have you been on welfare? Do you get other things for free, like EBT or housing? And how do you do it? Where do you live (state) I am just curious. Do you worry about when and if you will lose your welfare? Can u stay on it forever!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2Sparrows4ever
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I haven't a clue
sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM
no idea.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I have been on EBT for about 3 years....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Shoot the one time I applied for food stamps when we were really struggling they approved me for $16/month. I said fuck it and have been doing great ever since. I haven't a clue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Yeah same here i applied for food stamps and they said no way. My mom is dirt poor and she gets 16 a month in food stamps. She gets nothing else.

AjsMom0508
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Where I live there is a 4 year lifetime cap on cash assistance. There is not a limit on food stamps.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I don't know much about it now but about 15 or so years ago I tried to apply. They wanted the income of everyone that lived in the house including my parents. I had just left my ex because he was cheating on me with a 16 yr old. I had just given birth 2 weeks earlier to our son and we had a toddler. I had no other choice but to go home to mom. They didn't care that i was trying to get my own place and just needed a stepping stone to get back to normal. I didn't have a job or a dime. My mom refused to give her info because she wasn't asking for anything. They wouldn't accept my application without it. I then moved into the basement of another relative and tried to apply again. I was going to pay $300 a month rent for an efficiency apt, all utilities incl. Until I got a job and put together enough money to find a real place. I was asked for a notorized affidavit from the relative confirming rent amount. I was asked to show proof of unemployment, proof that I was not living with another adult employed or otherwise, all details regarding my ex and the 16 yr old he was with. I kept getting letters asking for more info and finally I was working. When I did get approved I told them I was working and then had to submit proof of that and check stubs. The first month I received $336 in cash, medical for the kids and $206 in actuall paper fs. My weekly check was $130 ish after taxes. When I submitted my check stubs everything was cut back drastically. I got a second job and was off it fast.

On the other hand I had a few friends that seemed to be on it forever and some still. I don't see how they qualify or survive off it either way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I don't know.  I've been on fs for almost 4 years.  I am not happy but I'm glad I can feed myself and my kids.  My dh lost his job 4 years ago when the company shut down. He has worked at various jobs since then, none of which have paid very well.  He's looking for anything and everything he can do right now. Sad thing is, there is NO work in his field and people don't want to hire him for other jobs since he has no experience.  It's a struggle but Im sure we'll get out of this someday.

lasombrs
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM
We get fs and the kids get medical. Ds can never be cancelled because he is disabled and has Katie becekett. Dd can lose her medical but we need to make almost double what we do now and they it would go to a copayment plan. Fs is much easier to lose and goes up and down based on our monthly intake. Paperwork always says you can not recive more then 5 years of help total.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I've been on EBT for about a year and a half, state medical for seven months that ended in February, and WIC since DD was born in December. We planned to be off all welfare by the end of this summer, but our plans went wrong. Both DH and I work, but the only jobs we've found so far are fast food, and even with both of us that's not enough to support a family. He's considering going back to school for his Bachelor's (has an associate's) and I'm trying to get a job driving a school bus. If I can get that, we won't need PA anymore. It's a waiting game right now, though. I should hear back about the job around August 2nd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)