Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do people think someone has to buy a house?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 65 Replies
My SO makes decent money and I don't do too bad myself but we live in an apartment and we are perfectly happy with where we live. At this point we don't want to buy a house for many different reasons so why am I asked repeatedly on here why we don't buy a house?

Why is that such a huge deal to people?

I pay 1000 a month and we will be moving into a bigger apartment at 1500 a month. To buy a house we are looking at 300,000 which would make my mortgage payment along with the insurance since I live along the gulf coast and need wind and flood insurance much much higher than my rent. So the argument that a mortgage is cheaper isn't the case for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Unmarried people should never buy a house together anyway. 

lilmom71
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM

So the state can take it from when you are older to pay for your nursing home bills.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I do agree with that wholeheartedly but even after we get married buying a house isn't high on our list.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaturnsMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Well when you buy a house, eventually it will be paid off then you will only have taxes to worry about.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Depending where you loive mortgages can be cheaper than rent. But I agree no one needs to own a house.
ajdahd13
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
That's how I feel. DH decided recently we do want to buy a house, in about a year, but before then we had no desire to buy one.
sampson200

Because it's the average norm.

When you deviate from that, it confuses the general public who think we're all sheep.

Now, I LOVE my house and wanted to have my own home (I felt stifled in my apartments once my husband came along and our 'wants' changed) . . . but I don't care if one lives in an apartment, a condo, a home....as long as you can pay your way in life and take care of yourselves and be safe, what's the biggie?

spicy_n_sweet

Beats me.  I do not own a house and have no intentions of ever owning one. I have absolutely no interest in home ownership. Never have.  It's the goal and dream of many.  It's just not/has never been, a goal and dream of mine.

Mommy2ETnBM
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I bought a house with my ex husband after we got married because well, we thought it was just a right of passage as a married couple. That was the biggest mistake of my life! Eight years later I am still living here, divorced. This house has been nothing but a money pitt and I can't stand the upkeep with things breaking and yard work. I can't afford any of this! My house is going on the market next week and we are moving to an affordable, "break-free" townhouse. 

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I understand.

Lots of people want to be free to move whenever they like.  As a landlord, I like it when I have longtime tenants so I don't raise their rent. ;)  (But they have to be excellent, and all of mine are). 

Quoting Roxygurl:

I do agree with that wholeheartedly but even after we get married buying a house isn't high on our list.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)