Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eating food before you pay in a grocery store

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about eating food in a grocery store prior to paying? (Not including things that go by weight. For example, a box of animal crackers). Then when you pay you give the cashier the empty box to ring up.

Options:

I see nothing wrong with it.

It is rude, but not wrong.

I view this as stealing even if I eventually pay.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

...what are your thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I think it's stealing. If you can't plan better to bring a snack with you for your kid, then don't shop with your kid. What if you get to the register and through no fault of your own, your card declines or you realize you forgot your cash? That's just my opinion.
LAmom2three
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I generally see it as rude, but I have done it before.  Once I had to go grocery shopping and my three year old was having a meltdown because she was hungry.  I gave her a bag of goldfish to eat while I shopped (and paid for it at checkout). 

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I think it's rude; and have never done it. Even for food by weight. Then again I'm always afraid i'll accidently forget to pay; or something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I do it with my kids all the time.  Usually stringed cheese or pouch toddler food.  I have done it myself when pregnant and feeling light headed. 

I'm not worried about my credit cards not working or not being able to pay.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM
3 moms liked this

It isn't theft until you leave without paying, just like at a restaurant.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:22 PM

What if the person checks to make sure they have enough cash on them before doing it? Still stealing?

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

I think it's stealing. If you can't plan better to bring a snack with you for your kid, then don't shop with your kid. What if you get to the register and through no fault of your own, your card declines or you realize you forgot your cash? That's just my opinion.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I think its stealing. I wont do it and i dont allow my children to do it. 

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I don't do it. I haven't paid for it, it's not mine yet. I don't see why people have such a problem with going half an hour, hour tops, without a snack. I don't teach my son to eat when he's bored, I don't reward tantrums with snacks, and I make sure he hasn't gone too far between meals when we go to run errands, so I don't see it as necessary.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this
Unless you have paid for it, it still belongs to the store. If you insist in doing it, go through the register and buy the item and then shop. It's just my opinion on what I'd do. I have never fed my kids something that I didn't own.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

What if the person checks to make sure they have enough cash on them before doing it? Still stealing?

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I did it once while I was pregnant. I got very dizzy and light headed and fell. Dh grabbed one of those baked loaves of bread and started shoving pieces in my mouth. I have never and will never do it again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)