• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HPV vaccine.....tell me the good, the bad and the ugly about it!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I will further research this as I have a 15 year old who I know is not sexually active.  How many of you would get it for your daughters-why or why not?  Keep in mind, my aunt has had cervical cancer twice due to HPV.  (A little scary.....)

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I got it for my kids (not just my girls) because it helps protect against certain forms of cervical cancer. My best friend never had it & had cervical cancer (it was removed & she has been cancer free for a year now). Boys can get the HPV shot too because they may get it from a girl (or guy I guess) who was not vaccinated & then pass it on to another partner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Any crazy side effects?

Quoting CampClan:

I got it for my kids (not just my girls) because it helps protect against certain forms of cervical cancer. My best friend never had it & had cervical cancer (it was removed & she has been cancer free for a year now). Boys can get the HPV shot too because they may get it from a girl (or guy I guess) who was not vaccinated & then pass it on to another partner.

snapesgoddess
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM

My 11 yo dd got it but with the cancer history in our family it was a no brainer

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
well my ped refuses to give that vax if that says anything at all about its safety.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
It protects against very few strains of the hundreds that HPV has.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snapesgoddess
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The only issue my dd had was her arm was sore for like a week after each shot

Quoting Anonymous:

Any crazy side effects?

Quoting CampClan:

Kitschy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I wouldn't get it for my daughter. It's too new to understand the long term effects. It doesn't prevent from all types of HPV including the most common cause of cervical cancer. The risks are unknown, and the benefit minimal at best IMO.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Other than a sore injection site no. My 17yo DS & 13yo DD have both had all 3 shots in the series. The 12yo DD will go back in September for her 3rd shot. I was going to wait until they were closer to 16/17 but when my best friend found out she had cervical cancer that is what made me change my mind.

Quoting Anonymous:

Any crazy side effects?

Quoting CampClan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I got the vaccine in three rounds, when I was 13. It was once mandated in Houston (mayor passed some law at that time) making females get it. So I got it. I've had no side effects or hpv lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)