Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you learn ASL?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 71 Replies

I'm not sure this will get much attention based on the title, but that's okay. For the majority of my life I have wanted to learn ASL. I've gotten books and watched a few videos, but I'm still no where near fluent. How did you learn and why? I was originally inspired by my best friend's brother, and I'm happy that I can have some what of a conversation with him that doesn't need to be translated, but I plan to take classes and hope to get to a point that I won't need someone to translate.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I took classes in college. It's been so long since I have used it thugh that I forgot most of it.

Fordprefect
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Quoting two4one:

I took classes in college. It's been so long since I have used it thugh that I forgot most of it.

How did you like them? My friend also took classes in college, but didn't like them. She said they seemed to do things differently than she did at home.

petitekatie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I'm in the process of learning. I'm using books and looking up words on google.  Here's a bump

kntrymama08
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Taught myself what I know online. My ex's mom os deaf, so I tried to learn. However, she hated me and he didn't ever help like he'd promised so I gave up.
SouthernMamaof1
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM

A coworker taught me.  I had two students that were deaf.  Their interpreter held classes after school for anyone interested in learning.  It was a great experience.  I ended up looping with my kids to the next grade level.  It was great having those boys two years in a row. Also, my two students helped me practice on the playground.  They thought it was hilarious for the tables to be turned.

two4one
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Loved them! My teacher wasn't deaf but was very involved in the Deaf community. I would have taken more classes with her, but I barely had time for the classes I needed to take. I hope to one day take them again.

Quoting Fordprefect:

Quoting two4one:

How did you like them? My friend also took classes in college, but didn't like them. She said they seemed to do things differently than she did at home.

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

i_am_no_1
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I learned every basic sign from the kid's show 'Signing Time' with my son. I then read books and attended some classes

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I took it as a college class.  When I was younger I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of books with my friend.

I have a childhood friend who is deaf.  I learned a lot from her when I was younger.  When I took the class it was very easy for me. 

It has come in handy in my career also.  Hospitals legally have to provide translators (for most languages including ASL).  The private practice I worked for had me listed as a translator on their website which gave them an advantage within their specialty.  We had many patients who were deaf so I was a huge asset to the company/hospital (we had privileges), I was paid more, and I pretty much couldn't get fired (of course I could but I would have had to mess up big time).

critter_boo
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Took college classes loved them
ravenschick
by Corey on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I took classes in high school. And since we live near msd we were frequently visited by their students. It was really fun. I kinda want to take more classes while I'm in college
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)