Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be ok with your child doing this??

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 19 Replies
So ds is in karate and he just recently made it onto the demo team. It's a team that competes in creating their own forms and demonstrations. So ds is 7. He went to his second practice. I couldn't go so dh took him. Apparently they are working him up to sitting on someone's shoulders whose sitting on another persons shoulders.

Ok so I'm actually kind of ok with it, but occasionally I kind of get this anxiety when thinking about it. I mean it sounds cool, but what if he falls? That's pretty high for a small 7 yr old to fall. But, then again, he is LOVING it. So I dot think I'd even have the heart to say no.

So, would you be ok with your child doing this??
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

So, they are stacking them three high?  What is the purpose of this in karate?

lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

If they have spotters and mats to fall on I would be okay with it.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Demo team is as much about creativity and ingenuity as it is about forms and techniques. It's job is to be impressive. So I guess this is part of a routine they are coming up with.

Quoting csxt99:

petie1104
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I'm sure they do. I wasn't there but I have to assume that they have some protection, right?

Quoting lilmom71:

If they have spotters and mats to fall on I would be okay with it.

DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Yes I would.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Sure.  Mine is in karate too and they use crash mats and spotters.  I mean, he could still get hurt but he likely will at some point anyway.  Injury is part of sports.

I'm much more nervous about arial kicks because of the possibility of knee injuries.  There is no spotting and crash mats that will prevent that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM

ugh....every fiber in my being would hate it but you have to let them go and live at some point. i am so over protective with ds but know i have to let that go. he's gotta be a kid especially if it's something he really enjoys. if they are doing it safely...with spotters and mats then i would do it...even though i hated the thought of it lol

when i was 7-13 i was on a competitive cheer squad and since i was the smallest...i did a lot of the flying and dangerous stunts. i took my share of falls and got hurt but i'm fine now! lol i know my mom hated it but she knew i loved it so she allowed it.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Yeah ds is the smallest on the team. He weighs a whopping 43 pounds, so I think that's why they like him being on top. He's lightweight.

I, as a very protective mom, am biting my tongue for now. I'll keep my mouth shut unless I feel that they are being unsafe. Mind you, I may not actually be able to WATCH that part anytime soon. Maybe have someone record it so I can see it.

Quoting Anonymous:

ugh....every fiber in my being would hate it but you have to let them go and live at some point. i am so over protective with ds but know i have to let that go. he's gotta be a kid especially if it's something he really enjoys. if they are doing it safely...with spotters and mats then i would do it...even though i hated the thought of it lol

when i was 7-13 i was on a competitive cheer squad and since i was the smallest...i did a lot of the flying and dangerous stunts. i took my share of falls and got hurt but i'm fine now! lol i know my mom hated it but she knew i loved it so she allowed it.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Yes.
csxt99
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I see.  I guess as long as the kid on the bottom wasn't doing any kicks or sudden moves and the floor was well padded, then I would be okay with him doing it.

Quoting petie1104:

Demo team is as much about creativity and ingenuity as it is about forms and techniques. It's job is to be impressive. So I guess this is part of a routine they are coming up with.

Quoting csxt99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)