Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok so listen up. I am not trying to be rude if you need school supplies/school clothes/shoes/lunch stuff/etc

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 79 Replies
7 moms liked this

Its really simple.

First off almost every town in the country right now is doing school supplies drives. And you have to show up at a certain place and time and maybe stand on line for a while to get them. But they give backpacks + everything on the list minus gym shoes.

Second, when it comes to clothing, you can go to your local clothing bank and usually they allow 12 or so pieces per person. I would allow them to give you the voucher for how many people in your family, and use as many as possible on your child/children for school. In other words, if you truly don't need new clothes but kiddo needs it, and you have 2 in your family, you and the kid, use all 24 items, (or however many the voucher is for), on the kid.

Next, see if you can get your kid free lunch at school. Fill out the forms. If you don't qualify for free, you may very well qualify for low cost. Where I live, if you qualify for low cost, you get it for free. In another state where a cousin of mine has it for her dd, it is 25 cents for reduced lunch per day. if not, start going to the food bank every month, which will help with food so you can pack lunches. A lunch bag can be purchased for about $1.50 used at the used store.

Your child will need sneakers for gym, so take your child with you to the used store (if you don't find them free at the clothing bank), and look there. If not, Payless has awesome deals. Also, check your food banks and clothing banks and do so now. I know people who use the food bank here and they always get in some payless shoe store gift cards for kids shoes before school.

Do all of this, and the kid will have everything they need. It just takes a bit of work and looking and calling around on your part. Good luck.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MorganTho
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
julainepw
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Nailed it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

My cousin works for the county, she is a caseworker. Here there are little to no resources available. Zero clothing available, zero financial help and very little in school supplies. They do have a place to get some school supplies and free haircuts but certainly not enough to go around. The last 6 months has had record highs of people applying for pa/assistance. 

The job market here is amazing though. The cost of living sucks though. I am thankful that we have our feet on the ground, there would be no help if we needed it!

newmomma1111
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
This will be very useful for some people here my son is only 20 months so i dont need it but i want to thank you for putting this up with all the negative people here its amazing to see one person out here on the otherside :)
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
4 moms liked this

That's too much work for lazy bitches.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont understand why people have such an issue getting school supplies. Its not like the school year sneaks up on you or anything. When you go to the store, get the school supply list for the next year, buy all the generic things on the list (the things that never change), and save up money for the rest. If you dont get your list till your kid starts school, then spend the year saving. 

LalasMommy1125
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Good advice. Also Staples has pens and notebooks for 25 cents this week. And if you sign up for the payless rewards program you get a percentage off and coupons.

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

great advice.

Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I agree with all of them; except that the schools in our county don't have school supply drives... or clothing drives (except for snow coats during winter). People have tried to start them.. but with no success :(
KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)