Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irritating MIL. Vent.

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 44 Replies
My BF and I have broke up before because of such bad issues between his mother and I.
The thing to really get me lately after having DD is what she calls her. I named my daughter Avigail because I do not care for the name Abby. I decided that I would call her Avi (Ah-vy with a long A not short like Abby) because thats how her name is SUPPOSED TO BE PRONOUNCED.
I believe to spite me she has started calling her Avvi, of course just like Abby but with a V. I said nothing because I just figured why argue she'll be the only one saying it but now she's told his whole family thats what she's call her and so now they are too.
So the other day she looks at my LO and says "Don't worry mommy will figure out one day that she's wrong and call you Avvi." I wanted to jump up and punch her.
Personally I love Avi thats one of my favorite childhood authors and part of the reason I picked that name but nooooooo she insists and criticises and continues to call her Avvi and im so sick of it.

Btw I call her my MIL because were engaged and getting married in a few months. I've already had to deal with her for this long she already feels just like part of the family. The part you only wanna see on holidays.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM
3 moms liked this
you did a good job butchering that name. chill out, too.
lunchforthesky
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
How did I butcher it? I change a letter. Actually it was in my baby name book as an alternative to Abigail and in the book it was wrote to be pronounced with a long A not short so Avi is the short version but she insists on calling her Avvi which also makes no sense.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

lunchforthesky
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
And also its just the fact that she was saying that I was calling my own daughter the wrong name.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

CountryStrong84
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
she's old and rickety. just say "there, there" and smile.

Quoting lunchforthesky:

And also its just the fact that she was saying that I was calling my own daughter the wrong name.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so lost...I don't understand what you are calling her or your MIL.....

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this

You're one of those people that can't live without drama, no matter how stupid the drama is, aren't you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree, and btw she's not your MIL. She is your bf mother.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

lunchforthesky
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM
No? Its just my child and his mother does everything to undermine me and my BF has asked me to not say anything and I haven't but this is the one thing that i get to control around her. She's my daughter and she should respect what I've decided. And I know she only does it because she knows I hate it and wont say anything.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

You're one of those people that can't live without drama, no matter how stupid the drama is, aren't you?

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Mil found the most ridiculous thing to drive you crazy. If you freak out everyone will just find you petty... Avvi vs Avi? Chilllllllll
TexTornado
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Well you gave her a weird name so what do you expect.  Grandma's dont usually like newer, strange names they want it all to make sense.

Anyway just stick with your original plan of letting her be the only one calling her that.  No reason to get all freaked out over something that minor. 

Also, telling the child that mommy will figure out she's wrong one day is CLASSIC Grandma move. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)