Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

desperate?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
I belong to some local mom groups. Im trying to make friends with people who have small kids and like values.

I posted for a playdate twice this week with little/ no response.
I posted
..Going to xyz.... park today..around 10:00 with dd age... if another mom and child wanna meet up.

Does this sound desperate or is this just an invite?
seriously why is it so hard to make friends now that im older?
I would just like to have a friend to maybe go shopping with or playdate... just normal s***

Am I the only one that struggles?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PookiePanda
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Sounds fine to me.. Maybe toss in you're bringing some snack or something just in case? I dunno. Can't be tooo hard right? I'm sure it'll get easier once your LO is in school and you can become a pta mom..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Wow..even in here..cold ass shoulder
krissy920
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:57 AM

doesnt sound deperate at all to me.. did you give much notice?

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Well I don't know where you are but it is 3:57 am in the morning, most moms are asleep, in fact I am heading that way. 

I don't know what the issue is to be honest. But I was raised playing with my sisters and brother or cousins. I didn't have playdates and if we did it was once in a rare moon and it was people from my fathers church.

My children now don't have little friends around our area we all keep to ourselves. I don't know, I think now days people feel better with their children around them rather then out and about. Our society isn't as safe as it was years earlier.

MayBeeIAm
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Doesn't sound needy. If that group doesn't work try another! Maybe your local library has a kids play group. Mine did I started taking dd at like 12 months once or twice a week.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Its morning here. Im having coffee....
Good night to u

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Well I don't know where you are but it is 3:57 am in the morning, most moms are asleep, in fact I am heading that way. 

I don't know what the issue is to be honest. But I was raised playing with my sisters and brother or cousins. I didn't have playdates and if we did it was once in a rare moon and it was people from my fathers church.

My children now don't have little friends around our area we all keep to ourselves. I don't know, I think now days people feel better with their children around them rather then out and about. Our society isn't as safe as it was years earlier.

liels898

It's not like you're giving them much notice if you're posting the day of. Plus, while what you said doesn't sound desperate it does sound rather unenthusiastic and complaining about the lack of response does seem desperate. But I get that, you want to make friends and that's not a bad thing at all. 

Just be more aware of what you're putting out there. Give people plenty of notice and have some fun with it so they get interested in hanging out with you. 

Syphon

No it's not desperate.  People do that all the time on a group that I'm in a fb.  Sometimes no one answers and sometimes 10 people answer.  Don't take it personally

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I knew what to tell you.  It took me 10 years to make 1 good friend.  That one good friend though is the mother of my oldest son's girl friend from high school. 

I had some "friendships" with people and they turned out to be the "keep up with the Jones" type.  When they started comparing my children with their children and telling me how perfect their children were compared to mine then I ended the friendship.  At the time I only had 2 teenagers in high school and by no means were they perfect but they were/are good kids.   I just did not/do not have time for that. 

I do have to admit when I ended the toxic relationship with this one woman in our old neighborhood it felt good.  Years later after not seeing her for a long time she tried to start talking to me again when she saw that our house was up for sale.  When it sold she kept asking me where we were moving to.  I just kept telling her that we were staying in the area and not moving far away.  My dh told me that I should have told her where we were going but I felt it was none of her business.  I know this may seem silly but it felt good to basically tell her in a "nice" way to go to He**. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I have not had a single friend in eight years.
I moved. In my old area I have a few good friends. Baraques..shopping buddie. Here I have no girl friends.
I do belong to a meetup..but its really for the kids..
When Im out I start conversations with moms..Im not afraid to introduce myself..etc..
Sigh...Its healthy to have peers. Rant over

Quoting Anonymous:

I wish I knew what to tell you.  It took me 10 years to make 1 good friend.  That one good friend though is the mother of my oldest son's girl friend from high school. 

I had some "friendships" with people and they turned out to be the "keep up with the Jones" type.  When they started comparing my children with their children and telling me how perfect their children were compared to mine then I ended the friendship.  At the time I only had 2 teenagers in high school and by no means were they perfect but they were/are good kids.   I just did not/do not have time for that. 

I do have to admit when I ended the toxic relationship with this one woman in our old neighborhood it felt good.  Years later after not seeing her for a long time she tried to start talking to me again when she saw that our house was up for sale.  When it sold she kept asking me where we were moving to.  I just kept telling her that we were staying in the area and not moving far away.  My dh told me that I should have told her where we were going but I felt it was none of her business.  I know this may seem silly but it felt good to basically tell her in a "nice" way to go to He**. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)