Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

can't afford back 2 school *EDIT*

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM
  • 342 Replies
I'm confused on how school supplies are really expensive.

I only have 1 baby, he's no where near school age yet, but I keep reading on here how some parents can't afford school supplies.

Is it really that bad?
Or is it worse when they enter middle or high school?

Thanks ladies... I was unsure lol.
I know my middle and high school days were expensive, but I was extremely materialistic.

OMG I'm featured lol.
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funlovinlady
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Basic school supplies aren't expensive, Walmart always has a huge sale going on right now. With basics being .15-5.00 ( think trapper keeper type stuff). Hs is more expensive, way more expensive. But basics are very cheap. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
20 moms liked this
Women on here like to bitch.

It is the same shit every year. Just like they can't afford good at Thanksgiving, the can't afford gifts at Christmas, they can't afford gifts for birthdays.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
2 moms liked this

yeah, it can be. i have two kids and i spent a lot of money last year on back to school supplies

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
2 moms liked this

it's horrid in middle school...the competition for expensive items goes way over the top, imo

yikesitsmindy
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
6 moms liked this
Women include clothes and shoes which drives me crazy. Did you not plan on buying types things for the next 18 years when you made them regardless of school?
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
High school for me is the cheapest. Elementary was the most expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM
How old are your kids if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah, it can be. i have two kids and i spent a lot of money last year on back to school supplies

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Basic supplies are cheap, the cost comes in with clothes and shoes. High school can be more due to specialty calculators and laptop's and such. I don't get the omg it's too hard to afford. You can buy four boxes of crayons for a dollar now , paper for twenty cents lol.

starlight91
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Sometimes its really that bad, it's worse when the teacher wants everything color coordinated. Like everyone has to have a red folder for Math, you go to the store and can find most everything but because every kid needs a red folder, there are none left, so now you have to spend the time driving around to find a red folder with 2 pockets , with prongs. 

As they get older, in middle school and high school they will need an $80-$100 calculator, (thats just one thing), but they dont need all the coordonated stuff. For my dd who starts 9th grade this year, its a couple folders, a couple of notebooks, a few little things then the calculator, thankfully the school has some calculators they lend out, dd will be first in line to borrow the schools calculator for the year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM
6 moms liked this
I don't consider 10 cent folder and a box of crayons expensive no. If someone does maybe they should have reconsidered having children.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN