Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kid finds out their adopted in science class!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/courtney-hardy/finding-birth-parents_b_3635054.html?1374680567&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl27%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D348578

Who does this? What is wrong with people? Why keep it a secret just tell your kid! If they grow up knowing they are adopted it is no big deal. It is like some people are blond some people are dark haired. But if you keep it a secret it turns into this big deal your child feels betrayed how many other secrets did you keep.  Step up people sheez!

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
momaof8
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This was us too only we adopted six,

Quoting Anonymous:

My in-laws have 5 adopted kids out of the 8 they have, all the adopted ones they told them from birth some of them even know who their birth moms are. They all know they are loved just the same, I don't get why you wouldn't tell your child. If we ever adopt any children I will be telling them from the time they are little. 

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

you are using the wrong form of they are.    it is THEY'RE  not their.  and she doesn't seem that heartbroken over it. 

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I have always told my children they were adpted.  Just makes it easier down the line...

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

There are things like cleft chin and other traits other then hair and eye color that you need to get from a parent. They are the dominant trait or whatever. A boy in my school find out the same thing. I didn't know him though and he wasn't in my class. Our teacher just told us about it. She felt bad she argued with him that one of his parents had to have the same trait she pointed out in him and they didn't. Turned out he was adopted and no one knew :(

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM
While this girl seems to not be too broken up about it, I DID have a friend in science class in seventh grade who broke down hysterically when we did a blood typing experiment and she found out her dad was not her dad. It IS a pretty cruel way to find out, especially in front of classmates... Most were nice about it, but not all.
kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

One of my cousins wasn't told he was adopted until he graduated HSHS

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:06 AM

This almost sounds like a show I came across on abc family called Switched at Birth. This 15 year old girl found out in her science class that her parents weren't her biological parents. They were testing blood and she found out she had a completely different blood type than her brother and her parents. Then come to find out that when she was a baby in the hospital, the nursing staff gave her to the wrong parents. This girl grew up with brown eyes and black hair, while her father and brother had blonde hair and her mother had red hair. 

I don't believe that two blue eyed people can't have a brown eyed child because that is most definitely true. Anywho, it is sad that her parents didn't tell her that she was adopted. I have a brother whom my parents adopted when he was 6 mos old and he was told he was adopted when he was 4 years old. I believe that a child should be told they are adopted, so they don't have to find out on their own like this woman did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM
It kinda sucks how she found out. This young lady seems to have a wonderful attitude and outlook.
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
same with me and my ds and his dad. I hady biology professor staright up look me in the eye and say "does your childs biological father know you put someone else on the birth certificate?"

FUCKING EXCUSE ME! yeah, I was NOT happy.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have blue eyes so does DH and our son has brown eyes. It is possible genetically because there is more than one gene that encodes for eye color. 

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Two brown eyed can genetically have a brown eyed child even if they didn't in her case. High school biology is a very simplistic view of how it all works. It is even more complicated than recesseive and dominant genes.  It also explains why my children who all have a genetic mutation on a gene giving them Noonan's syndrome demonstrate the mutation differently. If it were simply dominant and recessive, they would all have pretty much the same presentation of the mutation because I am their mother, the carrier. However, dna act differently based on each person's personal genetic code. Thus each of my childrens' presentation of Noonan's syndrome is different.

Noonan's syndrome basically for my children just make them very small and slow to grow. They are otherwise healty and do not have the heart or kidney complications, thankfully.  

I only get into this here because genetics fascinates me.

Here is an article about this very subject from a genetics web site.  It is very interesting.

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask332

OP and sorry I wasn't trying to be off track genetics fascinates me. Back in the day, not telling children was the norm and this woman was not upset by it. Today people are wiser and get that you should be open to the child about adoption.  Back when I was a kid, I had some friends that were adopted. They were not told until they were "older" because that was the norm. After I was older I noticed the trend to tell kids from birth and not to hide it. Much better decision so the child knows and can research history for many reasons including an accuate medical history.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)