Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kid finds out their adopted in science class!

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/courtney-hardy/finding-birth-parents_b_3635054.html?1374680567&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl27%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D348578

Who does this? What is wrong with people? Why keep it a secret just tell your kid! If they grow up knowing they are adopted it is no big deal. It is like some people are blond some people are dark haired. But if you keep it a secret it turns into this big deal your child feels betrayed how many other secrets did you keep.  Step up people sheez!

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yes, I read that too. I just didn't see that she was upset so I didn't think she saw it as horrible.  Like the woman said back in the day that is the way they handled closed adoptions. It was the norm. Now the norm is to be upfront with it, which is better. She didn't hold it against her parents. 

Quoting meaganmac:

Am I the only one who actually read the story? She didn't find out she was adopted in biology class or all alone, she didn't even consider she was adopted. It wasn't until she told her mother what happened (because she thought she was a genetic anomaly and thought it was cool) that her mother broke down in tears and admitted she was adopted. It's called reading comprehension, people, you should really try it.

Linagma03
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Maybe it was wrong for the adoptive parents not to tell her earlier in her life but they were the ones that knew her best. They gave her a loving home, family, and all the support they had to make her the wonderful person she has become. I have heard of many, many children who were adopted and knew that all their lives and as they got older they had problems with that knowledge. Those kids wondered what was wrong with them that the woman who gave birth to them would give them up. It is a double edged sword as to if an adoptive parent should tell or not tell the child that they are adopted. 

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
My oldest is blonde with blue eyes, I have two nephews who looked just like her as infants, my middle child has dark hair and dark brown eyes, my youngest has lighter brown hair with a hint of red and gray-blue eyes that sometimes look green like mine.

Even their skin is different. My oldest is super fair, like my husband. My younger two are also fair, but tan easily like I do. My oldest and husband just stay white lol.

People can be so rude!

Quoting Thelmama:

Exactly, LOL and so do mine and different hair color shades. I have been asked by a perfect stranger if my kids all had different Daddies........LMBO. The oldest two have slightly different shades of brown hair and my younest is a little blondie. I have brown hair, dh had strawberry blonde.  My oldest has brown eyes, middle hazle and little one blue. However, the syndrome I mentioned in another reply,  tends to make you have light colored eyes but that's how it played out in my kids. I told the lady YES they all have the same father and walked away. Seriously?  She asked a perfect stranger that.  I bet you can guess where we were at the time..........LOL LOL LOL.

I should have told her some snappy answer but I was too shocked to think of one.  LOL

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

All three of my kids have different color eyes lol.

Quoting Thelmama:

They can still genetically have the child as she is because genetics is more than simply dominant and recessive.  There are many factors to how dna is presented by the child that is born.  It is really fascinating which accounts to why some people suddenly have a red headed child and it is their child but it seems like the milk man made a visit as they used to say. When dna comes back they find that yes indeed that child is theirs and no one had a visit with the milk man.  Fascinating stuff when you look at it.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

But blue eyes and blonde hair are recessive.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh and I both have dark brown hair. He has green eyes and I have brown. I gave birth to a little girl that has bright blue eyes and blond hair.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

One of my best friend's in high school found out she was adopted by finding her orginial birth certificate. Her parents had it in a box marked baby memories.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Same with my older two and dh, they tan. Me and the youngest fry and look like lobsters.......LOL LOL LOL.  All my kids have different shades of caucasian to their skin. My middle one received more of the Italian olive skin than my other two, but my oldest has more of the "Italian look" in hair and eye colord, according to my mother in law.  I don't know what look we have, we are just people LOL.

Oh you ought to see peoples rudeness when they find out my son is almost 13.  They drop their jaws and say "really?" No I just made it up to amuse people. Yes, he is  almost 13 and in a boys size 7. I used to explain, now I say "gentics is a funny thing" and they drop their jaws some more. LOL. I need to come up with a witty response to the shock of having an almost teen who is the size of a first grader and two younger kids who one is the size of a kindergartner and one the size of most 4 to 5 year olds.  I just haven't come up with it yet, other than , yeah they come in fun size. That one is getting old, I need a new one. LOL LOL 

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

My oldest is blonde with blue eyes, I have two nephews who looked just like her as infants, my middle child has dark hair and dark brown eyes, my youngest has lighter brown hair with a hint of red and gray-blue eyes that sometimes look green like mine.

Even their skin is different. My oldest is super fair, like my husband. My younger two are also fair, but tan easily like I do. My oldest and husband just stay white lol.

People can be so rude!

Quoting Thelmama:

Exactly, LOL and so do mine and different hair color shades. I have been asked by a perfect stranger if my kids all had different Daddies........LMBO. The oldest two have slightly different shades of brown hair and my younest is a little blondie. I have brown hair, dh had strawberry blonde.  My oldest has brown eyes, middle hazle and little one blue. However, the syndrome I mentioned in another reply,  tends to make you have light colored eyes but that's how it played out in my kids. I told the lady YES they all have the same father and walked away. Seriously?  She asked a perfect stranger that.  I bet you can guess where we were at the time..........LOL LOL LOL.

I should have told her some snappy answer but I was too shocked to think of one.  LOL

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Quoting Thelmama:

They can still genetically have the child as she is because genetics is more than simply dominant and recessive.  There are many factors to how dna is presented by the child that is born.  It is really fascinating which accounts to why some people suddenly have a red headed child and it is their child but it seems like the milk man made a visit as they used to say. When dna comes back they find that yes indeed that child is theirs and no one had a visit with the milk man.  Fascinating stuff when you look at it.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh and I both have dark brown hair. He has green eyes and I have brown. I gave birth to a little girl that has bright blue eyes and blond hair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yeah, according to biology class I must be adopted too because my dad has O+ blood and my mom has AB-, and I am O-. But, alas, they are my progenitors.
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Lol!
You could say they're the concentrated version, 3x more powerful than the regular size, easier to carry.

Quoting Thelmama:

Same with my older two and dh, they tan. Me and the youngest fry and look like lobsters.......LOL LOL LOL.  All my kids have different shades of caucasian to their skin. My middle one received more of the Italian olive skin than my other two, but my oldest has more of the "Italian look" in hair and eye colord, according to my mother in law.  I don't know what look we have, we are just people LOL.

Oh you ought to see peoples rudeness when they find out my son is almost 13.  They drop their jaws and say "really?" No I just made it up to amuse people. Yes, he is  almost 13 and in a boys size 7. I used to explain, now I say "gentics is a funny thing" and they drop their jaws some more. LOL. I need to come up with a witty response to the shock of having an almost teen who is the size of a first grader and two younger kids who one is the size of a kindergartner and one the size of most 4 to 5 year olds.  I just haven't come up with it yet, other than , yeah they come in fun size. That one is getting old, I need a new one. LOL LOL 

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

People can be so rude!

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

Quoting Thelmama:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I found out from my doctor by accident that my dad adopted me when I was 11. We are adopting two, one who understands and one who doesn't. We will always be open and honest with our kids. 

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The same thing happened on the show Switched at Birth.

DevotedMotheof3
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM

wow

Quoting quinnsmom715:

i found out my 'aunt'was really my sister because of the soap opera another world.this character was forced to pretend her daughter was her sister and i was telling my mom that that was the strangest thing id ever heard.thats when she was like,well,i have something to tell you..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)