Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

College Laptop?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I'm going back to school and I'm required to purchase a laptop or tablet (that I can type on). While I'd love to buy a Mac, a $1000 computer is definitely not in the budget.

So tech people, what would be a good laptop to suggest? I will need good graphics, and speedy video loading, and wireless, webcam would be a plus but its not a necessity (I don't believe). Preferably less than $600. Thanks :-)
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Punchyobuns
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

We just have a no Dell policy in our house. They tend to be low quality. We buy HP laptops. Sorry I can't help more.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I have an HP that works for me, it was around $500.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

i'd invest in an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard

umm.yeah
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Go for an HP

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I have an hp with all of that and I was $450-500 new.
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I'm a student. I have been using a basic, cheapo Dell for years. It works just fine for taking notes and typing papers.

All new laptops are wireless and video loading depends on the speed of your internet. At my school the internet is crappy, but videos load fast enough. Unless you are a graphics design or CS major I imagine you don't need that fancy of a graphics card... (unless you are just wanting the better graphic card for gaming :P)

A shiny new laptop should be able to do whatever you need just fine. I'd aim for a $500 model so you have money left to buy software like Microsoft Office.

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I have an Asus. It was close to $600 but is a really good laptop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wright77
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM
My daughter just bought an HP for $398 at wal-mart . We also purchased the extended service plan for less than $50 . The only problem was it only came with a 90 day trial of Microsoft office which she needs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)