Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What kind of weird food habits drive you (or your loved ones) crazy?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 105 Replies

Eating the Cream Out of Oreos & 9 Other Nearly Divorce-Worthy Food Habits

by Adriana Velez

oreo jokeLadies and gentlemen, are your bizarre little food habits driving your spouse crazy? Redditor Showtunesaboutbacon was threatened with divorce the other day for eating all the cream from a bag of Oreos. Oh it was just a joke -- the divorce threat wasn't serious. But eating all the cream out of the cookies and putting them back into the bag? THAT is seriously gross. People do stuff like that, though. For all the different kinds of foods and different kinds of people in the world, there are so many different kinds of annoying food eccentricities that drive us all crazy. Here's a few of my favorites.

1. Putting clementine wedges on the radiator. This was a favorite trick of food writer M.F.K Fisher. She would place clementine wedges on the radiator until they got hot and plump. Then she'd put them out on snow just before eating them. It sounds like the kind of thing that would drive a husband or cat crazy.
  2. Tasting the cookie batter. Everyone does it, I know. But maybe I don't want your filthy fingers in my batter.
  3. Doll-sized leftovers. This is probably my most annoying food habit. I'll leave tiny amounts of leftover food in the refrigerator. It's there because I might want a very small snack while making dinner tomorrow. And you will be in a great deal of trouble if you eat it before I get to it because I was REALLY looking forward to that tiny dab of baba ganoush.
  4. Eating off my plate. See also: Me stabbing you in the arm with my fork.
  5. Eating/drinking out of the carton. So drinking milk right out of the carton -- this is something 60 percent of parents do while their kids aren't looking, right? There's also eating ice cream directly out of the pint carton, which I do all the time because I buy flavors no one else wants. I am smart that way.
  6. Putting the soy sauce in the refrigerator. It doesn't need to be refrigerated! Ditto: Tomatoes, peaches, apples, onions, garlic, lemons, limes, I could go on...
  7. Eating just the muffin tops. No.
  8. Salting your food before tasting it. Oh no, I'm not insulted at all. Go ahead. It probably tastes like cardboard otherwise. Good thinking.
  9. Patting the oil off your slice of pizza. Sometimes pizza is especially greasy and you just want to get rid of those gross shimmering pools. But people who give their pizza the pat-down every damn time, what the hell are you doing? You do know that's PIZZA, don't you? It's not like your pat down is going to magically transform that slice into a pizza-flavored kale leaf.

What kind of weird food habits drive you (or your loved ones) crazy?

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2b2many
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband is ocd about his icecream. After scooping some out he has to smooth the remaining icecream so it's all flat and pretty. It doesn't bug me; it's just odd; his siblings and father do it too. They will get the ice cream back out of the freezer after step MIL and I serve icecream; just to smooth it down.

Eating just the oreo cream is fine... putting them back in the bag is just disgusting.
DiANAiVELiSSE
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

#8 is me ALL THE WAY and my hubby hates it.. that I actually take a small minuscule taste before I add the salt but I ALWAYS add additional salt,his taste buds are not like mines at all

cindilou13
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My DH is pretty picky, but doesn't have any wierd food habits, other than just the pickiness, oh and #8.  I wouldn't really mind this, except now DS does it too.  And he didn't know the difference until he saw DH's example.  

My kids love raw pasta (they actually get this from me), but what they do that drives me insane (and I don't let them, but they can get Mamaw to let them do it  when I'm not there even though I have a 'no way' rule)....is they will dip raw spaghetti directly in the butter container and eat it.  Really????  Aside from being unhealthy, little pieces of spaghetti break off and you are going to use the butter and find them in it.  Nasty...!

I'm the one with a big eccentricity...I can't stand the sight, smell, or texture of processed cheese as well as 'congealed' cheese...real cheese melted on the edge of something, or the 'skim' that forms on top of cheese sauce.  I order my McMuffins and burgers with out cheese.  I actually threw up one time when someone opened up Kraft Single in front of me when I was pregnant with DS.   My husband thinks it's funny to torment me with stuff.  It backfired on it one time when he threw a piece of 'congealed' cheese from some cheese fries at me at Texas Roadhouse...it went down my shirt, I ended up running to the bathroom throwing up becuase I couldn't get it out  easily but I could feel it *shiver*. 

I do put soy sauce in the fridge, as well as all the things in #6.  They last longer and I personally can't tell a taste difference.   I do pat the oil of my pizza, but only if necessary.   And for the most part, our leftovers go straight in the trash, because we don't eat them.  The exceptions are chili, a casserole, or roast.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I HATE when people salt their food before they taste it. I don't cook with table salt, but I do cook with sea salt and garlic salt. There is more than enough salt on that plate. Ugh!

youdontdefineme
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM

My ex loved melted ice cream. He'd have me put perfectly yummy ice cream in the microwave and fry it. Oh yuk! I hated when he'd ask me to make him ice cream.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM

9. My sister (and then her DD) have to pat the chicken nuggets with a napkin. You do know it's breaded/deep fried in oil, pre-chewed/processed pretend chicken don't you????

10. I love watching boys/men eat! They just dig in and enjoy. Girls/women seem to pick apart, frown, push food around their plate like they will get fat looking at food. Men are so much better at enjoying their food.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

And when my DH cooks ANYTHING- he never uses salt and pepper. Jesus- sit and watch Food Network for an hour or 2 and you will get what "seasoned" food is......geezz...

Quoting lnrmom:

I HATE when people salt their food before they taste it. I don't cook with table salt, but I do cook with sea salt and garlic salt. There is more than enough salt on that plate. Ugh!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
It drives my husband crazy that I don't usually taste the food before I serve it up. And it drives me crazy that he puts a crap ton of salt on everything. Really it's the sound of him eating that makes me want to murder someone.
casseopeia
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You need to show them a picture of mechanically separated chicken.  It so much worse than just chewed up.

Quoting happinessforyou:

9. My sister (and then her DD) have to pat the chicken nuggets with a napkin. You do know it's breaded/deep fried in oil, pre-chewed/processed pretend chicken don't you????

10. I love watching boys/men eat! They just dig in and enjoy. Girls/women seem to pick apart, frown, push food around their plate like they will get fat looking at food. Men are so much better at enjoying their food.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I do #6...it drives SO crazy, and he always checks behind me when I unload the groceries, haha...

I'm also a dipper...I need like 3 different sauces at all times...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)