Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Starting school, Help! Questions

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 159 Replies

So I just moved for Texas to Florida and am in the process of getting my son registered for school.  

I just spoke with someone at the school and the informed me that I will not be able to walk my son to his class.  Basically I have to drive up and let him out of the car to go into the school on his own.  Is this normal?

I'm very upset with this because he is young and has never been in a school setting before.  Am I over reacting by not wanting to send him there?

my take is basically I don't know them so why would I drop my son off with complete strangers and not know where he will be.

im in south Florida if that helps. 

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is normal. Since you are new I would call and ask if you could bring him to see the school. Explain you just moved there.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I did they said no that I just have to drop him off.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Yes it is normal. Since you are new I would call and ask if you could bring him to see the school. Explain you just moved there.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I've never heard of such a thing.

You are the Mom and should be allowed to walk your kid to his class for the first day or two.. or show him around the school.. or play with him in the playground until the bell rings everyday of the year if you want to.

I wouldn't take my kid there.

cLanief
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Yes. In a lot of schools its like that for security reasons and to keep the hallways from getting jam packed to where little kids can't get through.
kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Yes it's normal, it's for security reasons, my sons school however there is an exception for the first day/ week of school depending on the grade.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Quoting cLanief:

Yes. In a lot of schools its like that for security reasons and to keep the hallways from getting jam packed to where little kids can't get through.

yep, this

they just changed the policy at my ds's school last fall for this reason

allycally
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Its normal most public schools have closed campuses.. where we lived in texas u were welcomed at anytime in the school as long as u registered
2kids2dogs2cats
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

They will most likely let you come prior to when school starts and meet the teacher, the reason for it isn't because they are mean, but because we now live in a world with creepy psycho people who might come inside to harm children etc.

Call them back and ask to meet the teacher prior to school starting, and then explain this is how a big boy goes to school. 

Roo1234
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

This is normal.  It is also normal that there should be opportunities before you start at the school to have a tour, meet his teachers and other staff.  Request it.

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I'm really not liking the policy.  They were really rude and all she could say was this is a school.

Quoting danie24:

I've never heard of such a thing.

You are the Mom and should be allowed to walk your kid to his class for the first day or two.. or show him around the school.. or play with him in the playground until the bell rings everyday of the year if you want to.

I wouldn't take my kid there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)